Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My kittens have been neutered today, Q about collar?

(15 Posts)
FunkinEll Wed 15-Feb-17 14:37:06

It all went well, dropped off at 9am and picked them up by 1.30pm.

My only concern is how Pearl is going to eat with a collar on and how I'm going to get her to keep it on for 10 days. Does anyone have any advice?

Her brother is totally fine and off doing his usual exploring of the house.

Obligatory pic of course

YesItsMeIDontCare Wed 15-Feb-17 14:39:42

Like this?

YesItsMeIDontCare Wed 15-Feb-17 14:43:41

Although this is probably more realistic.

FunkinEll Wed 15-Feb-17 14:52:01

I'll show here the filling up the collar trick but if that fails I'll fashion a little a shelf for her.

I'm sad for her that she seems to have got the short end of the stick in all this, poor little love.

She does keep trying to lick the wound so at least it's doing what it's there for.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 15-Feb-17 19:45:22

Babygro or baby shirt?

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:58:44

I didn't use one when I had my old girl spayed. They heal very, very fast, if I recall

McGintyii Wed 15-Feb-17 20:02:18

Me neither, my two girls didn't have lampshades and didn't bother with their scars, but all kitties are different. She's gorgeous smile

Costacoffeeplease Wed 15-Feb-17 20:05:44

Ours had little suits on, no collar

bodieboo Wed 15-Feb-17 20:08:52

Nice kitten!! Cats heal really quickly so she won't need it for long. Neither of mine bothered with their wounds but best to persevere at least overnight. It is possible she'll sort the problem by herself by simply 'slipping into something more comfortable' and you'll find it under the sofa! Good luck

OrraBoralis Thu 16-Feb-17 09:22:59

My wee Molly just got spayed on Friday. We tried her with a collar and she was having none of it! She really hated it and even though she was still woozy from the anaesthetic she was fighting it so we took it off.

DH had a look at her incision the next day and it is tiny and we have kept a close eye on her and the wound and she is fine. Saturday she was a bit tender and needed claws to get onto our bed, today Thursday she is rampaging around like a wild woman grin I, on the other hand, am panicking every time she takes a huge leap and a tumble.

Wolfiefan Thu 16-Feb-17 09:25:47

Just a word of warning. One of our girls came home without the lampshade. She managed to eat through the stitches and had to be stapled as a late night emergency.

FunkinEll Thu 16-Feb-17 13:58:47

We had a collar incident when they were fighting earlier and she got her head stuck between the collar and one of the gaps. I cut it off but she was constantly at her stitches for the hour it was off for so I've put it back on for now.

reallyanotherone Thu 16-Feb-17 14:05:00

There shouldn't be any need for a collar unless they get particularly obsessed with it. None of my many,many cats have ever needed a collar.

Did they charge for the collar out of interest?

There's actually no need for stitches either. I had my first girl cat spayed over 20 years ago and my vet said then most vets do enough spays that they should be experienced enough to do it keyhole with no stitches.

FunkinEll Thu 16-Feb-17 14:28:15

It was via the RSPCA centre we adopted them from. They've been a bit rusty throughout. Our '15' week old kittens must have been approx 8 weeks when we got them. The two girls we went home with turned out to be a boy and a girl. Hence my faith in their vetenary services is pretty low. I might call my local vet instead and see why they say.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 16-Feb-17 14:46:56

I've just found. Babygro that says 'a little bit of magic' on it. Guess what her name is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now