Talk

Advanced search

Rescue cat gone missing in neighbours house, what to do?

(27 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Wed 15-Feb-17 11:42:15

Neighbour got an 18 month old neutered tabby cat (boy) yesterday from a rescue. She's been to see him, it's a family cat and her DC are away this week, her DH is at work. Cat was a stray.

Just spent half an hour looking all over their big Victorian terrace house with her as he's gone missing (couldn't have escaped through doors etc as they were secure).

He is a very friendly, snuggly cat. Neighbour is of course distraught.

Any ideas? I was thinking just leave food out and they can hide anywhere.

Palomb Wed 15-Feb-17 11:43:19

Up a chimney?

DumbledoresApprentice Wed 15-Feb-17 11:48:22

It's pretty common for them to hide for a while when you first bring them home. I think all that can really be done if they are sure he hasn't escaped or climbed up the chimney is leave food out and wait for him to come out. I don't think there's any need to get too worried though. The rescue should have warned her that he might hide away for a while as it sounds like she's got very worried.

tickingthebox Wed 15-Feb-17 11:50:17

I found both of mine up the chimney - that was weird, two full grown cats up there....

They have also gone into the back of a chest of drawers - so in an open drawer and down the back under the bottom drawer.

Sewingbeatshousework Wed 15-Feb-17 11:52:02

Cats are sneaky bastards, I've torn my hair out so many times thinking I've lost them (before they were allowed outdoors). He'll be hiding somewhere and will come out when hungry/less nervous. Although one of mine got under the floorboards of new house last year and couldn't find her way back out for a good few hours 🙄

Daisypopslop Wed 15-Feb-17 13:06:17

Hiding! Mine can disappear in a room easily. Chimney, tops of wardrobes, cupboards, draws, under beds basically anywhere. Waiting until it's hungry will probably work. Good luck

SuperFlyHigh Wed 15-Feb-17 13:33:56

Thanks all - he's not my cat (who hid for 2 weeks under an IKEA church bench in the box room!).

I'll tell neighbour all of the suggestions including chimney, tops of wardrobes etc.

The worst of it is their DC are coming back home after a week at Grandparents on Friday and looking forward to meeting the cat.

He's a tabby so could be harder to see...

I also think cat treats can work to tempt out.

My cat (but he was 4.5/5 months old) didn't seem to eat "any" of the food (wet and dry) I left out for him but cat treats were much more of a success...

YesItsMeIDontCare Wed 15-Feb-17 13:37:03

You know that bit where he couldn't possibly be, that gap that is way too small for him to fit through?

He's there.

purplecabbage Wed 15-Feb-17 14:54:12

Possibly hiding, possibly has got out and is roaming/hiding outside. Completely understand the distress!
We rehomed a kitten from a rescue home, bringing her here one Xmas Eve - somehow she got out via the patio doors and it was truly vexing.
Showed up the following morning!
It is the nature of cats to do this - I really hope though that he comes home soon. It is surprising how cats can remember new territory very very quickly and find their way back.
Plus, being rehomed he is likely to be chipped which is an added level of security/peace of mind.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 15-Feb-17 15:24:28

Go round with a torch tonight, their eyes reflect in torchlight.

HedgeSparrow Wed 15-Feb-17 16:28:16

When I helped a friend move house, his cat went missing. We eventually found the cat later wedged behind the back of the cooker! I don't know how she squeezed in. Felt especially guilty as we'd used it to reheat some food - cat was fine though.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 15-Feb-17 16:38:50

my frst cat used to winkle his way in behind the freezer and sleep in a gp near the compressor (??) warm fridge/freezer thing

also heard of cats squeezing into gaps in kitchens and hiding out under the units

SuperFlyHigh Wed 15-Feb-17 18:04:09

My friend rang me about half an hour ago to say she was on the sofa and next thing she knows the cat was there, from wherever he'd been hiding (she thinks asleep in a dark, warm place) then ate a load of food!

She is now going to keep him confined to one room for a few days rather than the run of the house and tell her DC (2 girls I think 8 and 5) to be careful with him not to crowd him, treat him as a toy etc.

Thanks all!

SuperFlyHigh Wed 15-Feb-17 18:07:11

purple he was chipped.

I didn't know that about cats remembering their new territory very very quickly!

I think last night he had the run of their huge house (includes a massive attic) and either ran round all night exploring and was tired in day time (he was missing from 8.30am Til 4.30pm!) or he was too nervous to sleep so then went to sleep somewhere quiet in morning.

ILoveDolly Wed 15-Feb-17 18:12:18

When we first got ours he found a tiny access space under a utility room cabinet and lived under there for a week coming out only to use the tray and eat during the night. Silly boy.

Janey50 Wed 15-Feb-17 18:13:44

Cats are absolute masters at hiding. Is it possible he has got into an open drawer,that has then been closed? One of my late DM's cats hid in a bottom drawer,on a bath towel,for nearly 24 hours. My poor mum had come to the conclusion that she could not be anywhere in the house,when my DB,just by chance,went to get a clean towel out and found her,none the worse for her 'confinement'. Another time,one of her cats crawled into a suitcase that the zip had been left open on just a couple of inches,and stayed there for nearly a whole day.

Janey50 Wed 15-Feb-17 18:15:13

Oh good she's found him! Just seen your latest post.

AlmaMartyr Wed 15-Feb-17 18:21:33

We found a kitten inside our sofa once. Goodness knows how she got in there, but she did. Maybe that's where he was smile Glad he's shown up.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 15-Feb-17 19:47:32

My friend lives in a large Victorian house and has a terrible time trying to find his cats in the house!

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 15-Feb-17 19:52:40

Aaaw give him time. We've worried ourselves over lost cats. Behind the washing machine, behind a utility cupboard. Teeny spaces.

When they gain a little bit of confidence, they come and find you, which is better really than you making them come out.

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 15-Feb-17 19:54:14

I "lost" mine for an entire day...until he opened his eyes! Glad her cat turned up.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 15-Feb-17 20:08:43

I love that photo.

I lost mine rolled up in a duvet.

SuperFlyHigh Wed 15-Feb-17 20:37:50

Enrique I hate to say it but my cat now, when I used to want to find him or a certain friend did, when she came over, I'd gently "pull" him out from his hiding place sometimes. I don't do it now....just got fed up with him hiding all the time! If the doorbell rang he'd hide etc!

But he really was awful, anyone who came to see me and wanted to see him he'd hide immediately under an IKEA church bench and wouldn't come out, at all!

I found out or guessed though that in his previous household (he came to me at about 4.5/5 months old) that a few kids in the household had treated him as a toy and there was lots of arguing and probably violence and I think a man wasn't nice to him as he was very scared of men.

He really is much better now, settled and calmer... Still occasionally nervous but doesn't hide!

Weeds that is an excellent picture!

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Thu 16-Feb-17 14:37:12

Super we took in an abandoned cat who many years later is still incredibly nervous and hides from strangers. The favourite hidey hole now is a teeny gap behind the middle of a heavy three seater sofa.

Same with a couple of cats we look after. One spent a whole day behind the washing machine, another behind a tall cupboard and one, who was lost for hours and hours outside was eventually found in an empty bird nest in some thick shrubbery grin

So that's why I learnt to leave them alone when they wanted an escape, they trained me smile

Funny creatures cats, but they certainly know their own minds.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 16-Feb-17 15:15:32

Enrique (love the name by the way, I've said that before to you!)

I get what you say re the hidey hole, Felix still does use the church bench sometimes but he comes out more and rarely hides there, especially if I tell him he's being silly...

I do leave him alone but he has other hiding places, under a Victorian high chair I have...

They are funny creatures cats, I agree!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now