Talk

Advanced search

Itchy ears - both cats

(4 Posts)
Lucysdiamonds Wed 15-Feb-17 01:03:36

Is this likely to be ear mites? If so can I treat with something safe before resorting to going to the vets? Last time they just gave me cleaner and said adult cats shouldn't have mites ..

I've been using the cleaner but it isn't making any difference ..

GardenGeek Wed 15-Feb-17 01:08:34

Can you see black specks in their ears. Looks like dirt.

If so, most likely mites.

You need to go to the vet really. I am not a vet so wouldn't want to tell you some home remedies.

Its also really serious if it gets out of control. Obviously you have to really neglect the situation for it to get out of control but when it does its really bad. Can eat their ear drums, even eyes etc. If it damaged their hearing they might be more likely to get hit by a car so its worth going to vets.

I know thats the most serious end scenario but just letting you know so you can go to vets now when its no issue.

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 15-Feb-17 01:08:49

With our dog vet swabbed ear then ran off to microscope before diagnosis of ear mites. I think over the counter meds for parasites waste of money.

Lucysdiamonds Wed 15-Feb-17 20:36:22

Ok thanks I'll take them to the vets .. I was just fed up that last time they didn't check for mites, just said it wouldnt be and gave me very expensive all killing drops that another vet later told me was overkill sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now