Finally ready for a new kitten/cat after losing our old girl last year :) Excited! .

(61 Posts)
WatcherOfTheNight Tue 14-Feb-17 20:56:19

Some of you may remember me posting about our dear old girl passing away last year.
After 21+ years it's been really odd being cat free & we still have days when we get her dish out when we feed the dogs.
also have times when I think I've caught a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye! confused

I miss my kitty cwtches so much & I'm now ready to let another lovely feline friend into my heart.

Spent the past 2 days looking through rescue sites but all possible matches are so far away,not even any kittens or youngsters for sale in my area.
I'm wondering if it's worth ringing the rescues & asking if they take names.
Does anyone know if they do this?

Anyway watch this space as there WILL be a bundle of trouble very soon fingers crossed.smile

cozietoesie Tue 14-Feb-17 20:58:59

Gosh, Watcher. Have you been on to catchat?

DumbledoresApprentice Tue 14-Feb-17 21:04:17

It's worth calling some might have cats that they haven't had time to put onto websites yet. My cat didn't have all of her details uploaded to the blue cross website yet when I spotted her and filled out a form. I just saw her and knew she was my cat. Ideally I wanted a laid back, longhaired cat. I wanted an adult but not an old cat. As soon I spotted the picture of my girl with the "we'll put up more information soon" post I had a feeling she was the one for me. This is her the day we brought her home enjoying a good fuss and belly rub.

DumbledoresApprentice Tue 14-Feb-17 21:05:17

Apologies for lack of punctuation. blush

FunkinEll Tue 14-Feb-17 21:13:19

The rescue we got our two kittens from don't advertise all of them online, especially the smaller kittens. I wasn't expecting to see such tiny ones. We ended up adopting two grin

Good luck in your search.

WatcherOfTheNight Tue 14-Feb-17 21:30:34

Thanks allsmile

Aww dumbldore your cat is soooo gorgeous!
I fully believe you "know" if it's meant to be with pets.
All our pets have come to us unexpectedly tbh so I have everything crossed that our cat will find us eventually.

We have 2 dogs so I'm thinking a kitten or younger cat is the best option for us.
I saw a lovely 6 month old kitten earlier but she was so far away sad

Cozie I've had a quick look on catchat but it was difficult to navigate on my phone.
I'm going to go through again tomorrow on my iPad,hopefully it will be easier.

I'm trying so hard to stay off of amazon with all the toys & fluffy beds! grin

WatcherOfTheNight Tue 14-Feb-17 21:34:23

Aw funkin you are lucky having 2!
I can just imagine my DH if we ended up with 2grin
Sometimes I just wish we had a farm with acres of space,I'd end up like the old woman who lived in a shoe animal style!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 14-Feb-17 21:48:21

I agree with kittens not being advertised. Kitten season is coming.

chemenger Tue 14-Feb-17 21:59:39

I foster with Cat Protection and our branch has a waiting list for kittens, which is very long just now. We have no kittens or pregnant cats in care at the moment. It would be worth contacting the rescues to get on the list. We could home 25 kittens tomorrow, if we had any. No doubt this will change as spring comes along.

Vinorosso74 Tue 14-Feb-17 22:46:20

I've just started volunteering at our local Cats Protection and not all the cats make it onto the site esp. the kittens. In the last week they've had six between 6-12 months. I don't think all were able to go immediately though but they didn't make the website.
Other young adults did though. Is worth calling the rescues as they may well have a suitable candidate?

cozietoesie Tue 14-Feb-17 22:57:26

Are your people managing to find homes for older cats as well, chemenger? smile

WatcherOfTheNight Wed 15-Feb-17 09:07:11

Thanks for the info Chemenger & vino,I will start contacting the rescues today & add my name to any lists they may have.

Our old girl was queen of the castle,seeing as she was here first,she would get in one of dogs beds & sit cleaning herself whilst looking over at the dogs as they sat waiting grinthey knew they were not allowed in until she had settled herself into the best position.
Once she was ready they'd all cwtch in together.
Aww,I miss her.

I so hope that whoever finds their way here will fit in the same way.

Mrsmadcatlady Wed 15-Feb-17 09:21:35

This was our family 2 years ago! We had lost our old (18 year old) lady a couple of years previously, and honestly, the pain I felt (she was my cat) I thought I couldn't do it again!

We went to our local adoption shelter, I didn't want a young kitten (as I know how much hard work they can be but I did want a young kitten-cat). No long haired ones, just one cat would be lovely.

Our new cats picked us that day! 2x 2 year old boys (a felix type and a semi longhair) and we haven't regretted one day! We looked at all the cats in the shelter, but these two boys stood out. We have one very extroverted playful boy, and the other one is more reserved (and slightly agrophobic) but craves affection. My new boys slotted into the family life very easily, they adore the kids (and the kids adore them), it saddened me to hear from the shelter that they had been waiting for a new home for 3 months. Some of the cats have been waiting much longer!

🐾

chemenger Wed 15-Feb-17 09:33:57

We do get older cats rehomed as well. I've only been with them for a few months but there have been some real oldies, as in 15+ rehomed in that time. Kittens go straight out as soon as they are old enough.

Vinorosso74 Wed 15-Feb-17 09:52:25

Obviously we need pictures when you have your new family member.
The CP staff told me it's harder to rehome pairs of cats rather than the singles but as we're London indoor only cats such as FIV cats are generally rehomed quickly.

WatcherOfTheNight Wed 15-Feb-17 09:54:59

Aww MrsMadcatlady that is lovely smile
It's so hard when you've had them that long isn't it?
I still well up when I think of our girl,she's left a huge gap in our home & hearts.
Our Labrador has only just stopped looking for her!
I hope we find a good fit for us soon.

There are some gorgeous older cats in the rescues,I'm pleased to see so many with a reserved sticky on but still a little bit heartbroken for the others.

I've made a start on emailing & calling,hopefully this hole in my heart will be filled soon smile

WatcherOfTheNight Wed 15-Feb-17 09:55:55

Oh there will be pics Vino!
Probably way to many hahagrin

Lancelottie Wed 15-Feb-17 10:00:33

You could definitely contact the rescues and ask if they have any cats who have lived with dogs - though it sounds like your (very) cat-respecting dogs would be fine with them anyway, after the first introduction.

Otherwise, as the others have said, it's kitten season shortly. Expect many, many kittens in rescue around April/May/June (so if you want one around then, don't plan an early holiday unless you have loverly neighbours).

cozietoesie Wed 15-Feb-17 12:29:24

My mother had a rescue dog who was thoroughly cowed by her cats. We bought her another kitten to replace one that had gone - this was many years ago and not something .I'd recommend these days - and the dog, after many weeks as a delighted singleton, walked into the sitting room and his face, when he saw the chocolate point boy sitting there was a picture. It was 'Oh Blerdy Heck, he's back!' (That cat looked more or less the same as the one who had gone, if anything just a little paler because he was younger.) The dog turned tail and left, not to be seen for the rest of the day! grin

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 05-Mar-17 12:53:23

Just a quick update,I contacted a few of the rescues after chatting with you all on this thread & I've heard from one of the lovely ladies today.
They have 5 kittens and it looks like one is coming to us !!! gringringrin

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 05-Mar-17 13:52:03

Ooh how exciting! Definitely pics needed when you get him/her home!

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 05-Mar-17 13:57:32

I am beyond excited Posie!grin
I will post lots of pics as soon as I know which one is ours.

This is one from the litter,I'm not sure if it the one we are having but omg soooo adorable!

Mrsmadcatlady Sun 05-Mar-17 14:50:05

Aaaaawwwwww squeeee Beautiful!!!

PosiePootlePerkins Sun 05-Mar-17 15:49:29

So tiny squeee! 💕

WatcherOfTheNight Sun 05-Mar-17 18:05:07

Squeeee indeed !😻

Just spoke to Cats Protection Lady,(CPL) we will have a home visit next week & she is also arranging for us to visit the kittens at the foster carer.

The poor little things were found shaking & shivering,cooped up in a flat with 20 other cats sad
How sad is that?
I don't know how I will choose only one,I want to take them all...

CPL said they have settled really well with the foster carer & she is confident they will find good homes for all of them.

Does anyone on here do cat foster care?
If you do I take my hat off to you,what a lovely,lovely thing to do!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now