Talk

Advanced search

Poo on the lawn

(14 Posts)
Soon2bC Mon 13-Feb-17 14:22:45

I have 2 beautiful rescue kittens who have been going outside since just after new year. They are toileting outside but rather than dig a hole in the dirt they are pooing all over the lawn, not even trying to bury it. Because it has been so dark after work I didn't notice until last weekend and had to spend a good hour picking up poo!

Whilst I don't really mind the poo pick up (part of having pets) I would prefer it was not on the lawn as it has killed areas already and will be horrid in summer when it comes to spending time in the garden.

I have tried signalling where they should go using litter scattered in 'the right places' and moving poo and am not getting anywhere so it seems a proper solution is needed. Of course, my cats are their own willful independent selves and will do what they want but I would love to move them onto a place which is less used by people if possible.

I have been recommended things to keep them out of the garden which doesn't work as they are my cats and need to use their own garden, and I don't want to shift the problem to a neighbors lawn.

does anyone have any ideas?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 13-Feb-17 14:27:05

Mine wees on the lawn but only in winter because the grass is longer.

Soon2bC Mon 13-Feb-17 14:29:52

Maybe summer lawn being cut all the time will deter them. however, the grass doesnt seem to have grown all winter and isnt that long at the moment...we will see

Toddlerteaplease Mon 13-Feb-17 14:48:22

Plant a flower bed. Garantee they'll poo in it and ruin it!

Olinguito Mon 13-Feb-17 17:36:53

A nicely dug over vegetable patch might prove irrestible too!

Olinguito Mon 13-Feb-17 17:38:05

or even irresistible ...

cozietoesie Mon 13-Feb-17 17:55:05

Have they still got an inside tray?

Badcat666 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:28:42

Get a low planter (like a mini half barrow thing) and fill it with soil. and put it near the lawn!

TADA!! Instant outside kitty litter loo! smile

Soon2bC Thu 16-Feb-17 12:57:17

No inside tray anymore. i like the idea of a low planter Badcat!

Wolfiefan Thu 16-Feb-17 13:02:20

You should always have an inside tray. What happens when they are shut in at night?

cozietoesie Thu 16-Feb-17 13:09:01

Try an inside tray, I think. I know that all of my outside-going boys have actually preferred to use one. You may be getting the poo equivalent of a 'splash and dash' on the lawn.

Soon2bC Fri 17-Feb-17 09:06:27

I have a cat flap so they have constant access to the outside. might have to go back to inside tray....might build them an outside toilet with a tray in it just outside the back door smile

NotYoda Fri 17-Feb-17 09:08:46

I think it's better for everyone if you get an inside tray.

NotYoda Fri 17-Feb-17 11:54:02

... I say that because if they are pooing on your lawn, then they may be pooing on other people's, and whilst you can't be sure they will exclusively use the litter tray, there's a good chance they might

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now