Talk

Advanced search

Completely outdoors pet cat (cats own choice)?

(9 Posts)
4yoniD Sat 11-Feb-17 16:46:43

Hello, first please can I confess to being a dog person (sorry) who is rather out-her-depth dealing with the family cat.

Background: We have a rescue cat (had her years). We were told she was an outdoors cat. She wouldn't come out from behind the sofa when we got her, then after a month or so we let her out and she was completely shocked at the world and had obviously never been outside before. She had zero jumping skills, fascinated with the sky, hideous with other cats, etc. She loved it though - once over the shock. She got in the habit of spending time behind the sofa and time outside, and eating in between. She spent more and more time outside. We thought it was the kids scaring her (making noise etc, they are gentle kids and have never hurt or chased her). After maybe 3 years we were having building work done so sent her to live with ILs. We thought she'd love it - living with retired folk in a quiet house backing onto fields. She was the same - either outside or behind the sofa. She stayed 2 years in the end, before coming back to us when ILs moved to supported living. On the plus side its reassuring that she isn't like this because of our kids.

Fast forward another 2 years, cat now won't come in the house hardly at all. She has been enabled a bit by DH - she now insists all food must be put outside for her. Of course the seagulls figured this out, and we now find ourselves standing outside for 10 minutes a day, three times a day, guarding her food while she eats :S This isn't really what I imagined when we got a cat.

Main options as I see them:
1. put up and shut up.
2. refuse to put food outside any more so she either comes in, or starves.

(If it makes a difference she is a thin cat, always has been, and simply won't eat any extra food put out for her!).

Surely we can't be the only people with this problem? WWYD?

4yoniD Sun 12-Feb-17 21:23:49

I take it it is just my cat then sad

Misericord Sun 12-Feb-17 22:45:58

Bumping this up as things get busy this time of night so someone might see.... personally I can't help, my old lady disdains going outside in winter!

cozietoesie Sun 12-Feb-17 22:51:17

If she won't come in then I guess she won't come in. Some cats are like that although they often compromise in the depths of winter.

Can DH - if he's enabling her - not construct something to let her eat in peace? Or do you have a shed?

He should really be the one who does the feeding anyway. smile

hollinhurst84 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:54:27

Our stable cat is 100% outdoors. The stables are in a barn (new built) arrangement so it's dry and sheltered but even when it rains she is off hunting in the fields
She sleeps on piles of straw, or discarded rugs or the occasional human she's bribed to carry her around. She would never be happy as an indoor cat

DJKKSlider Sun 12-Feb-17 23:01:52

www.amazon.co.uk/BUNNY-BUSINESS-Wooden-House-Animals/dp/B00OJ4WRRC?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Get that for near back door. Put a bed and a bowl in.

4yoniD Mon 13-Feb-17 15:17:21

Thanks, will look into boxes. We have a kids playhouse (so a small wooden shed but she won't go in that either :S)

RueDeDay Fri 17-Feb-17 18:26:17

Get a microchip cat feeder so that other cats, or seagulls, can't eat her food. As long as it's under shelter it should be fine.

thecatneuterer Fri 17-Feb-17 19:50:15

Do you have a cat flap? Nervous cats/ outdoorsy cats/ semi ferals generally only stay inside happily if they know they can always get out. So if you don't have a cat flap you need to get one and that should solve the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now