Talk

Advanced search

Going on holiday 4 weeks after moving house. Aaaaaah!

(13 Posts)
loveka Sat 11-Feb-17 13:47:53

We were all set to move in January but our buyer pulled out on the day of exchange.

Stupidly, we had booked a holiday the day before...

So now we have a new buyer. But the holiday is only a month after we move.

We are going to try to keep our cats in for 2 weeks. Which means they will only have been going out for 2 weeks before we piss off and leave them for a fortnight.

They are going to be utterly freaked out. They are a pair of little nutters anyway, won't be picked up, hate anyone else apart from us, terrified of everything but LOVE being outside. They were feral as kittens and we tamed them.

It's going to bad enough trying to keep them in in the first place. Last time I tried to keep them in they both lay by the cat flap for 2 days and wouldn't use the litter.

Should we cancel the holiday now? It will cost us about £750 now, but much more nearer the time. I just can't bear the thought of upsetting them so much.

Any experience of this type of thing very gratefully received.

Wolfiefan Sat 11-Feb-17 13:52:21

Can you get a run built with a catflap from the house?

loveka Sat 11-Feb-17 13:56:13

Yes we have considered that, it's just they are so determind they will probably try to dig their way out!

I think we will try it though.

Reow Sat 11-Feb-17 15:38:41

Do you not have a nice chattery nearby?

We're sending ours to a cattery for our hols. I'll be sad to leave him somewhere he's not used to, but I'll feel better knowing he's fed and kept an eye on. A lot of Catherine's have indoor pens with an outdoor but so they get a potter about outside every day.

Reow Sat 11-Feb-17 15:39:40

Fucking autocorrect.

Chattery and Catherine's = cattery

InTheDessert Sat 11-Feb-17 15:48:40

What would it cost to postpone the holiday, rather than cancel??
How certain are you of the moving date?? It may slip to closer (or ideally after??) your holiday??

loveka Sun 12-Feb-17 09:45:58

Yes, the moving date could change I suppose.

We couldn't just postpone as we have booked flights and have paid a deposit on accomodation.

I think one of them particular would go ballistic in a cattery! She has never even let us pick her up. We have to have vet home visit for her. She can read our minds too. We adore her, she is so loving. But as soon as you even think about picking her up she scarpers.

thecatneuterer Sun 12-Feb-17 09:54:52

I also think cattery. Even for the ballistic one. She will hate it, but at least she won't get lost.

Reow Sun 12-Feb-17 10:07:18

OP my cat is also a flighty fucker and a bit scratchy when we try to put him in his carrier, but he's going to the cattery nonetheless.

He also tends to go walkabout and get himself into some shit (see my recent posts = 8 days in a tree and rescued by fire brigade). So we're going to be cruel to be kind. He might be pissed off at first being there, but we will have peace of mind knowing he is safe and warm and fed.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:50:58

What about a cat sitter? I get my friend's daughter and her boyfriend to stay in the house and pamper mine while away. That way cats can still go out? They are quite happy with a few quid, a case of beer and a freezer full of pizza ( catsitters, not cats).

TheCakes Tue 14-Feb-17 17:40:53

We have a catsitter come in twice a day when we go away, that way he can do what he likes but there is someone looking out for him. Ozzy is an indoor cat, so she has a little play with him, opens and closes the curtains so the house doesn't look empty etc.
Maybe you could do that, so they get their freedom but someone is looking out for them?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 14-Feb-17 18:53:11

We do the same as TheCakes. Our pet sitter is amazing, Harry seems to like her and she's a vet nurse so I know he's in safe hands.

loveka Wed 15-Feb-17 10:03:27

Thanks, all of these are options. We used to have a pets Itteringham for our previous cat when she got old and it was brilliant.

I went to the new house yesterday and got so worried about the cats. There is a single track lane that runs alongside the garden (huge acre garden that backs onto open woodland) I thought it would be safe for them, but yesterday saw 2 cars bombing down at about 30. It made me not want to move to be honest. The cats are not road savvy at all. They have always gone out the back, and the nearest lane is a 10 minute ( human) walk away from where they roam about.

I know they will explore the lane at the side of the new house, even though there are gardens and woodlands behind. I am sure the lane is quiet 90% of the time, but it only takes one car. I feel awful about it. I have looked at the new house 5 times before and have never seen a car pass by before. But again, it only takes one.

I am going to try and postpone the move till after the holiday I think. If I can't I'll do a cattery even though they will hate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now