Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Boy cat doesn't seem to hunt or bring me his spoils... :-(

(58 Posts)
SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 20:48:48

Got a 3 year old boy cat (Felix), half Siamese had him since he was about 4.5 months old, he was with his mum and another male cat in his old house.

He was kept in until he was 1 year old as I wasn't sure about him going outside... Just worried for him! Plus there were a few foxes hanging around and I got a bit nervous. He goes outside every day now but locked in from 6-7pm.

Anyway apart from about 4 frogs (alive), 1 baby bird that i think fell out of a nest and a pigeon, he hasn't caught anything! He won't wear a collar (gets them off on garden steps etc), goes after birds (seen him crawl along the length of a branch after a bird) and is very active.

Should I be pleased he hasn't caught anything, is he eating it outside or doesn't he love me as much to catch anything?! (Last part of that sentence is tongue in cheek!).

My previous 2 cats (brother and sister) and their brother who lived next door were prolific hunters, once or twice a day sometimes, mostly field mice, a couple of Rats, frogs, toads and sometimes birds (tried to discourage the bird hunting) and they also tried to fish in my pond (strong net was put over the pond almost from word go) so I'm just a bit curious as to why mine (typical boy cat, can't wait to get out in morning, no breakfast first!) doesn't catch anything?!

He is also your typical long legged Siamese-cross looking, with extra long claws, fangs you can see on his face (teeth) and quite slim yet sturdy.

Any ideas??!!

Fruitcocktail6 Wed 08-Feb-17 20:51:05

Why would you want him to hunt? I'm glad my two don't, they're far too stupid.

Ilovecaindingle Wed 08-Feb-17 20:51:14

Maybe he is just a sensitive soul and has no interest in killing things?

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 20:53:59

Fruit I don't want him to hunt but i know he does!

I'm just curious as to what he does with his kills... (Not really!) or is he just not that great a hunter after all... Which surprises me seeing his stalking.

Ilove see the frogs have been brought into the house but are hard to eat/kill etc...

I don't mind if he doesn't kill anything at all, really!

reallyanotherone Wed 08-Feb-17 21:00:13

(typical boy cat, can't wait to get out in morning, no breakfast first!)

Why does that make him a typical boy cat? I doubt his sex has anything to do with him wanting to go out, more he's been in all night.

Are we really extending gender made up myths stereotypes to animals now?

Fwiw, none of my boys have wanted out before breakfast.

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 21:04:57

really I just mean he seems to be wanting to go out, front up to the other males in the vicinity (who all seem to be into guarding their territory) and he also wants to mark his scent though he's been neutered.

And yes, probably does want to go out since he's been in all night. I also think (don't shoot me) he prefers to poop away from his litter tray, and no I can't control that either!

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 21:08:03

The other males I notice where I live seem to be out a lot that's what I made that comment about boy cats...

The 2 girl sister cats i know are also out a bit but that's partly as their owner has no cat flap and they just let them out of the back door, but they sneak in onto sofas and into houses if they can.

cozietoesie Wed 08-Feb-17 21:08:37

Many many cat predations on birds end in failure. Be thankful that he's getting some exercise. smile

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 21:09:36

Ah cozie didn't realise that was the case re birds... I'm pleased for the birds then!

cozietoesie Wed 08-Feb-17 21:10:06

PS - outside of the 'fledgling' season that is. wink

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 21:14:19

He does tend to go after the bigger birds like jays sometimes cozie who are intimidating to me!

And Felix is still (he will be 3 in April) having stand offs with other male cats, sometimes winning, sometimes losing! He's known as The Yowler due to the amount of noise he makes when fighting (yes this has been witnessed!).

The 2 sisters he used to try to bully or mate with... Then one grew a lot (the other is still smaller) and a neighbour saw them chasing him along the fence a few weeks back! grin

cozietoesie Wed 08-Feb-17 21:16:15

He sounds like a full Siamese. smile (They tend to have a 'Bring me my shield and my spear' attitude before leaving the house.)

cozietoesie Wed 08-Feb-17 21:18:29

PS - but my outside-going Siamese have nearly always had a 'Death before Dishonour' attitude. They don't like losing - to anybody. smile

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 21:20:22

According to his owner before me, he was one of 3 kittens and he was the most Siamese (maybe due to spending lots of time with mum?!).

She was half snowshoe Siamese and half chocolate point, the dad was a black moggy.

He is a sweetheart though cozie despite his yowling! smile

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 21:22:26

Ha cozie you're spot on about Felix, he hates losing and is really downcast if he does have to admit defeat... Comes in when I'm there with tail fluffed up...

The girl cats it was even worse but I think faced with 2 of them he had no choice but to run away!

Imissmy0ldusername Wed 08-Feb-17 21:27:46

I think we need a photo, just to be sure that he's as evil looking as you say OP...

Vinorosso74 Wed 08-Feb-17 21:29:54

From some of the things I've read on here I'd say be glad he doesn't bring them in.
I met a gorgeous Siamese girl awaiting a new home yesterday-very chatty indeed. I wasn't sure if she was telling me I'd missed a bit whilst cleaning the pen opposite her or was telling me off for ignoring her! Another volunteer sat with her and she fell asleep just like a baby needing cuddling to sleep.

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 21:32:14

Here is the evil one.

Imissmy0ldusername Wed 08-Feb-17 21:34:00

Yup - he is definitely evilling the shit out of that teddy! Lovely face smile

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 21:34:36

As a baby and a bit older... smile

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 21:36:07

Imiss in that pic you can't quite see the angles... Of the jaw line...

But the Siamese jaw line is there...

He loves his cuddly toys! grin

Imissmy0ldusername Wed 08-Feb-17 21:51:46

Gawjus! Maybe he thinks all creatures are just animate cuddly toys? So not very tasty....

cozietoesie Wed 08-Feb-17 22:03:08

I recall Twoago having this huge set to with a bunch of seagulls - and they're big birds. I rushed outside to 'rescue' him when I saw this paw coming out of the long grass to hook and threaten - and a seagull mob overhead - but he was most put out. Blighter had actually been enjoying himself, I think. smile

Toddlerteaplease Thu 09-Feb-17 10:11:14

One of the reasons I held off getting a cat was because they hunt. I'd completely freak out. Don't do rodents and birds. Fortunately Persians are not hunters and mine are way to stupid anyway. Be glad you do t have a dismembered corpse in your shoes etc.

Reow Thu 09-Feb-17 10:35:52

Think yourself lucky. We get about 9-10 mice a week.

Not a great start to the day when you step out of your room in the dark and put your bare foot on a beheaded mouse that's been chewed to hell.

Or when he brings live mice and shrews in, lets them go, and they're running under the furniture and across your feet, and you have to mop the floors every day to get rid of mouse brain and germs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now