Talk

Advanced search

How the hell do they know?

(37 Posts)
OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Tue 07-Feb-17 18:26:58

Ok, so cat food has been in cans with ring pulls for years-way before my cats were even born. But yet if I do have to use a can opener they always come running-why? I just have to get it out of the drawer and there they are. It's beans ffs you daft creature.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 07-Feb-17 18:34:22

Their quite clever, cans equal food no matter how you open it.

Plus you might feel guilty enough to give them ham.

TheLongRider Tue 07-Feb-17 19:46:04

Ha! I feed mine on dry food and they still come running at the sound of a can opening. From talking to one of the neighbours they turn up at feeding time at her house, the cheeky brats.

One of them is partial to passata if the carton is left unattended before it is washed out. The sound of a yogurt pot being scraped out also triggers whining and expectant faces.

PencilsInSpace Tue 07-Feb-17 19:52:44

It's an innate genetic memory, like pigeons' fear of snakes grin

Toddlerteaplease Tue 07-Feb-17 20:01:24

Yes, I get the same. Teabag pack rustling = dreemies packet. Four huge green eyes staring at me. I usually give in!

GalenJustGalen Tue 07-Feb-17 20:43:38

My cat does the same thing, even though I've had her over eleven years and in that time no one has ever fed her anything from a can. I adopted her from a local shelter when she was about six months old, and my theory is that before I got her, someone fed her canned food, and the memory is just indelibly imprinted on her little walnut-sized brain.

AmberNectarine Tue 07-Feb-17 20:45:30

Mine just runs if I go into the kitchen or even near it.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 08-Feb-17 12:37:10

A can opener means tuna to Harry! We've got an electric can opener now but he soon adapted!

NotAPuffin Wed 08-Feb-17 12:54:29

One of ours gets out of her box and comes downstairs if she hears the kettle being turned on, because she knows that means DH is making coffee so he'll have to open the fridge and that's where the ham lives.

She's brain damaged and was endearingly dim even before the damage happened, but she can still reason when it comes to ham. not about anything else, mind you

Cats are complicated beings.

cozietoesie Wed 08-Feb-17 13:08:45

They watch us. grin

Allergictoironing Wed 08-Feb-17 16:20:59

Mine recognise the sound of my alarm going off in the morning, and within a minute there's 2 sets of pleading eyes fixed on me until I go down to get their breakfast (they tend to sleep downstairs at the mo). They can also recognise the bedroom TV being turned on in the morning if I wake before the alarm, and again appear within moments.

Wolfiefan Wed 08-Feb-17 16:22:37

Cats are our evil overlords.
One of mine helped herself to Dreamies again the other night. They were in the packet, in a plastic tub with the lid fastened on and inside my bloody handbag.
I need a safe!

Toddlerteaplease Wed 08-Feb-17 17:28:49

Wolfe, may I ask why you carry dreemies in your handbag?

Getnakedorgohome Wed 08-Feb-17 17:32:15

Every time I open the utility room door (where the fridge is) mine comes running. Even if I've not seen her for an hour and she was outside... she must have a 6th sense attached to the door!

SherlockPotter Wed 08-Feb-17 17:37:16

My cats know where their dishes and food is kept... I swear cats are ninjas

ProfYaffle Wed 08-Feb-17 17:46:55

"Mine just runs if I go into the kitchen or even near it."

Mine assumes that whenever/wherever I move, I'm on the verge of feeding her. She's at my heels the whole time.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 08-Feb-17 18:32:30

Every so often I change where his foods kept & see how long it takes for him to cotton on.

I don't actually need to it's just entertaining.

cozietoesie Wed 08-Feb-17 19:05:18

How long does it usually take? wink

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:18:13

Longer than you'd think. Usually a week.

SuperFlyHigh Wed 08-Feb-17 20:50:44

They know... Plus their hearing is acute... Plus maybe if you've opened tuna with a can opener (and given them some or not!) they remember that...

Cats are amazingly sly when it comes to food and second guessing what they'd like even if it IS beans! grin

AmberNectarine Wed 08-Feb-17 22:10:07

Prof yes, that's basically it.

Dreamies are the devils work. Mine will get into a cupboard, retrieve an unopened packet and get into it.

Should have started him on a gateway drug, like crystal meth.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Wed 08-Feb-17 22:28:26

Ah but I buy huge boxes of pouches, dickhead cat sits on box. Yells at me. Is always surprised when I turf him off the box to get a pouch. It's like " Fuck me, that was a good trick." So not that bright.

RubbishMantra Wed 08-Feb-17 23:01:51

Toddler, you don't yet carry cat crack in your handbag? shock

I have bags of the stuff hidden all around the house. Tonight Little M was gallumping about the place and hit his mouth. Dreamies were the only medicine that convinced me he was having a flounce, not actually in pain. He's now speeding about the house at the speed of light, so all good, after a careful inspection of his mouth.

sashh Thu 09-Feb-17 16:37:07

OK how about, this.

How do they know they like fish?

No cat has ever caught a tuna, but open a ca or even a tuna steak and they are there.

Wolfiefan Thu 09-Feb-17 16:39:34

Toddlertea
They were hidden there to stop the little buggers stealing them! Need a better hiding place!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now