Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Possible Pregnant cat?

(16 Posts)
mortificado Tue 07-Feb-17 16:01:35

She has really rounded belly although today it doesn't seem as wide as last night. She's hiding under things & sleeping a lot. Won't let you touch her belly much.
I've tried to have a look at her nipples after doing some googling and they do appear larger (slightly) but they haven't 'pinked up'
Have a vet appointment for Monday.
Anyone have any experience with pregnant cats?
If she is she will be done after the litter when safe to do so (as will the kittens) and we will just keep all the kittens for fear of not going to safe forever homes. (We live on a farm so will be nice to have them around to)

thewideeyedpea Tue 07-Feb-17 16:05:28

If she's not neutered and has been going outside then yes, it's highly likely she is pregnant. Your vet will obviously be able to confirm.

Ilovecaindingle Tue 07-Feb-17 16:07:07

Ooo exciting!! Way back on the 70's both our cats had 3 kittens each(1gave birth in the airing cupboard!!) we kept one from each litter and all lived to a ripe old age.
Ah my boys are nearly 5 now. . Nothing as nice as kittens. Lucky you - enjoy!!
Just feed her well and make sure she has a suitable place to give birth tho will likely choose somewhere you would rather she hadn't!!

mortificado Tue 07-Feb-17 16:07:36

Is there anything I can do before her vet appointment? I'm not sure how close she is to being due.
I was watching her this morning and she had 2 ripple like/ wave movements along her back and sides and now the bulges don't seem anywhere as big.
I'm wondering if that could be "kittens" dropping? I've tried to google that and not had much luck!

mortificado Tue 07-Feb-17 16:09:03

Ilovecaindingle aww! That brought a smile to my face! As you have plenty of experience could I ask you to have a look at 2 pictures for me, one is from last night and one from this morning?

DevelopingDetritus Tue 07-Feb-17 16:13:48

Yeah she sounds pregnant. Our cat had the ripple/wave movements too, she had 3 kittens in the end. When I took her to the vet because I was unsure beforehand, the vet said "do you want me to open her up and take them out" shock, I made a swift exit. Good luck!

mortificado Tue 07-Feb-17 16:16:05

Forgot photos! First one last night second this morning!

mortificado Tue 07-Feb-17 16:17:11

Developing shock that's awful! I would of done the same!! Can I ask you, after the rippling thing how long was it after until she gave birth?!
The suspense is literally taking over my life!!!!

thecatneuterer Tue 07-Feb-17 16:22:33

You could consider a spay/abort if she's not too far along. That's better than saddling yourself with potentially another six or seven cats, together with all their vet bills. Cats can even have 8 or more in a litter. I once collected one that had had 12 kittens.

I'm pleased that Detritus's vet suggested it. It would be helpful if more vets would.

mortificado Tue 07-Feb-17 16:26:38

I do understand what you are saying, and for your concern. We are luckily in a position to be able to take care of vet/insurance bills if she is pregnant and for cost of keeping them all.

DevelopingDetritus Tue 07-Feb-17 18:17:28

A few days I think, was 20 odd years ago, so can't remember exactly.

I was too soft to let the vet do it, just didn't sit well with me. We kept one, the other two were only at the RSPCA a few day before they found them homes.

DevelopingDetritus Tue 07-Feb-17 18:20:17

*She does look wide doesn't she for a slim cat.

mortificado Tue 07-Feb-17 18:48:18

I've googled it and most are saying a couple - three days they give birth after dropping.
She is really wide! She looks slimmer now she's got wider which is making me think she's pregnant, she's showing all other symptoms apart from the pinking of her nipples and growth although she does have a large bold patch around 4 of them!

Ilovecaindingle Thu 09-Feb-17 10:03:31

Can you feel them moving when you stroke her? So jealous!! She will find a place to hide when she is ready so don't worry. We watched one of ours give birth. . Camera at the ready mind!! We want updates and pics! good luck with the 'grandkittens'!!

Reow Thu 09-Feb-17 15:07:49

Yep that's a pregnant belly

NootNoot Thu 09-Feb-17 17:16:47

Just putting it out there 99% of insurance will NOT cover pregnancy or it's complications unfortunately. Read small print carefully if something needs doing to avoid a nasty surprise. Good luck puss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now