Talk

Advanced search

Cat limps whenever I stop pain relief? Is he just very smart!?

(10 Posts)
AmazingBobby Tue 07-Feb-17 12:48:19

My cat came in limping about 2 weeks ago, we left it a couple days and then took him to the vet (a vet that I trust massively) and he had a feel and said he is pretty adamant it isn't broken and thinks he probably got bit, but to not start antibiotics just yet as it isn't infected, etc. and told us the signs to look out for. He gave pain relief for us to give him in his food.

When we started giving that to him, he started walking on it again and was fine so we completed a week of it (like suggested) and was fine, when we stopped, he started limping again. Gave him some more and was fine but now limping!

I'm guessing he is hurt but how? He doesn't think it's joint problems due to the way he is with it/how his other joints are.

Thanks

cozietoesie Tue 07-Feb-17 12:51:02

How old is he - and what is his general health like otherwise?

AmazingBobby Tue 07-Feb-17 12:58:38

He's 3 and his health is otherwise absolutely fine

Wolfiefan Tue 07-Feb-17 13:00:02

I would go back to vets. Cats are great at hiding pain.

cozietoesie Tue 07-Feb-17 13:04:13

I just believe that limping is 'boring' and cats don't generally do 'boring' so I reckon that extended limping is some sort of pain. Is the 'pain relief' in his food, meloxicam?

I'd also re-vet him.

cozietoesie Tue 07-Feb-17 13:06:25

PS - is he using his tray fine if he has one?

AmazingBobby Tue 07-Feb-17 13:09:29

Yes, I think it is meloxicam. It comes in a purple packaging, I believe? (Awful memory) and I just syringe it on it.

He goes outside smile

cozietoesie Tue 07-Feb-17 13:35:55

He would be young for joint problems - depending on his breeding - but I think I'd still have him to the vet again if he doesn't stop limping. Does he have a good heat source to relax with ?

squeak10 Fri 10-Feb-17 23:19:20

He could have ligament damage or a sprain much harder to diagnose than a break or bit. Or, he just likes the fuss. Cats are the more intelligent species wink

squeak10 Fri 10-Feb-17 23:20:57

Bitehmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now