Talk

Advanced search

My cats belly is bald.

(34 Posts)
OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 14:35:50

He is a male 3 year old neutered cat. I have a 5 yo female cat who I am using for comparison, she does not have a bald belly. Hers is covered just like the rest of her. This is baldy in the photo. He also has nipples. Is he normal? confused

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 05-Feb-17 14:48:31

None of them are normal.

Does he lick it bald or is he furless there? Male animals have nipples because embryos are all female at the very start of pg.

OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 14:52:27

Ok so nipples are normal. He is always licking himself all over but the rest of him is hairy like you would expect a cat to be. His belly has very short finer hairs on it so not just skin but obviously not like the rest of him.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 14:52:27

Flea allergy?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 05-Feb-17 14:52:52

Harry was like this a few years ago when next door had building work done. We never saw him over grooming but we presume that's what happened. I spoke to the vet who said it was probably stress and to just keep an eye on him. It did eventually grow back and he's been fine since.

Littlemissindependent Sun 05-Feb-17 14:54:23

My cat has a bald belly too!! Seems to be a recent thing. Is happy and healthy though so not unduly worried.

Neverpeelmushrooms Sun 05-Feb-17 14:58:33

Ours had this due to over grooming caused by flea allergy

OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 14:58:47

wolfie he does have a flea allergy, well the vet said it wasn't as there were no fleas on him but he diagnosed feline [something] that when I googled said most likely cause was flea allgery. However he is all up to date with his flea treatment. I do it monthly with the drop stuff from the vet. When he does have a flare up it is little sores and scabs all around his neck and head. We have tablets for when it does flare up and he hasn't had it in months. The bald belly has been a permanent feature for as long as I can remember but I think it has become more hairless as time has gone on.

OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 15:01:20

Don't know if it makes a difference but he is an indoor cat. The older girl goes outside but she is treated for fleas the same time as boycat is. Also have a dog who is treated at the same time too. I check them all regularly and no signs of fleas.

LilyLongtree Sun 05-Feb-17 15:02:27

My girl cat has a nearly bald patch on her tummy. We worked out it's because she has a baggy undercarriage and it scrapes on the bottom of the cat flap when she goes in and out and sort of wears the hair off!

OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 15:03:46

Hmm, I wonder if it could be something to do with the litter in his litter tray? That's the only place I can think of where his belly would be near anything that would affect it.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 15:03:54

What flea stuff do you use? Frontline is often rubbish!

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Sun 05-Feb-17 15:04:15

What flea treatment is it? Our cats were on Broadline but when I took one of them to the vet because he was scratching and removing his fur, he had fleas.

Outbreak is now over but he is still patchy from overgrooming.

OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 15:05:07

It is broad line cream!

CloudPerson Sun 05-Feb-17 15:05:42

My late cat had a bald tummy and was bald down the insides of his legs, the vet said it was a form of alopecia and it grew back after a few weeks.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 15:06:06

We use advocate here and it seems really good.

CreamCrackerundertheSettee Sun 05-Feb-17 15:08:01

Ah well it might be fleas. Have you a comb to check?

Ours are on Bravecto (I think that is right) now which is applied once every 3 months.

OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 15:08:24

I'm going into the vet next weekend to get next dose of flea treatment so I'll bring him with me and get him looked at.

OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 15:09:18

Oh thanks cream, I'll ask about that one then when I'm in. I have no comb to check I just use my thumbs to spread the fur and have a good hunt.

hugoagogo Sun 05-Feb-17 15:09:57

My cat has a bald tum too, the vet thinks it's a nervous habit, but I am not so sure.
We keep her flea treatment up to date, feed her hypoallergenic food and have two feliway on the go.
The only thing that has actually made a difference is a steroid injection, so I now think she is actually itchy and might need a longer course of steroids or antihistamines or some such.
Not much help am I?
But no it's not normal.

Wolfiefan Sun 05-Feb-17 15:10:30

Bravecto has been the subject of some rather worrying discussion. I would avoid myself.
OP any black dots (look like dirt). Could be flea poo.

OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 15:21:18

Yikes, it's a bit of a minefield this flea business isn't it.

GenghisCalm Sun 05-Feb-17 15:24:18

Is it over grooming through stress or boredom? My eldest cat over groomed when she was bored and stopped when we got a new kitten.

OneWithTheForce Sun 05-Feb-17 15:31:28

It could be. He is a very active cat and has loads of toys. He plays with our other cat and the dog and DS is his favourite plaything when he is home. I'm going to buy a couple of feliway plug ins and see if that has any effect.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 05-Feb-17 16:08:31

My parents cat has a bald belly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now