Talk

Advanced search

Best collar recommendations

(16 Posts)
FunkinEll Fri 03-Feb-17 15:38:35

I'm a bit clueless. My two kittens are due to be neutered soon and after that I'd like to start letting them outside. They are chipped but I imagine a collar would be helpful if they wandered as I know some people could assume no collar= no owner.

Why type is best? Is there a particular material/ clasp that is better?

Also, I think I read here to just put a number on the collar and no name. Is this right?

TizzyDongue Fri 03-Feb-17 15:40:41

One that snaps off as easily as possible. NOT a buckle.

Collars can be fatal if they aren't quick release.

thecatneuterer Fri 03-Feb-17 16:37:22

Even quick release collars can cause injury. It's best to avoid collars. Also a cat that becomes lost/stray that has a collar needs to be in a much worse state than one without a collar for people to take notice of it and help, as those with collars are presumed to have homes.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 03-Feb-17 16:38:29

We don't use one. He pretends he's ok with them & then takes them off.

strawberrypenguin Fri 03-Feb-17 16:39:45

None it they are an outside cat and chipped. Collars can get caught up on things

RueDeDay Fri 03-Feb-17 16:40:34

I thought the same as you, then my two 'lost' about 8 collars between them in the first 8 weeks of going outside, so I gave it up as a bad job! Microchip, and keep them inside at nighttime until they are 6 months old would be my advice.

FunkinEll Fri 03-Feb-17 21:15:44

Ok, so no collar is ok?

Rue do you mean keep them in until they are 6 months or keep them in during the night until 6 months?

strawberrypenguin Fri 03-Feb-17 21:19:18

No collar is fine. If they get lost/hurt and taken to a vets the vet will scan them for a chip as standard procedure. So as long as you keep the chip info up to date i.e. If you move or change phone number they'll be fine.

Trustyourself2 Fri 03-Feb-17 22:22:51

I put safety collars on all of my cats, with ID barrels attached. They are also microchipped. 2 of mine are pretty much house cats. My 3rd cat goes out during the day and has lost so many safety collars, that she now wears an elastic collar, very loose fitting, just in case she gets caught on something. I just feel better when they wear collars.

Wolfiefan Fri 03-Feb-17 22:24:22

No collar. They aren't safe. I used to buy beastie band Velcro ones but can't get them anymore.
In at night. Always. They're much safer that way.

DramaAlpaca Fri 03-Feb-17 22:26:37

I would never put a collar on a cat, I'd worry about them getting caught in a tree or something even with the quick release ones. I just don't think they are necessary.

thecatneuterer Fri 03-Feb-17 23:26:41

No collar is much safer. Best to keep in until six months and to always keep in at night.

RueDeDay Sat 04-Feb-17 04:36:40

We started letting ours out during the day after about 12 weeks, only for short periods at first but then for longer and longer. Kept them inside at nighttime for 6 months as per our vets advice, apparently it stops them from becoming wanderers. Both mine have 24/7 access to outside/inside via a microchip cat flap (which is amazing) but are restricted to one room at night. Too noisy otherwise!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 04-Feb-17 08:54:33

I have mixed feelings about collars. When William, our old boy, went missing I'm sure we only got him back as quickly as we did as he was wearing a collar. Even now, with so much more publicity about microchips, I don't think a lot of people would go to the bother of taking a cat to the vet to be scanned for a chip and I'm sure some people wouldn't even know about them.

Harry wore a collar until he broke his jaw and we just never put it back on. I still think he looks naked without it! One reason I probably wouldn't use collars again is that he has a bald patch on his neck where the collar rubbed his fur away. (The collar was never too tight and his neck is never red or sore)

oleoleoleole Sat 04-Feb-17 09:00:15

Please don't get a collar. My cat had his ear ripped off by his as he'd obviously got stuck somewhere.

polkydot Sat 04-Feb-17 09:06:06

www.funky-felines.co.uk/beastieband.html

This is what I use for my cat, she's 10 and has worn them since a kitten, she does a lot of climbing/hunting etc and they're neoprene so pull off if caught on something, and seem comfortable. She doesn't pull them off herself though, which she did with the others I tried before these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now