Talk

Advanced search

Help - getting a Burmese cat in London?

(14 Posts)
NatureAbhorsAHoover Tue 31-Jan-17 18:42:51

Love Burmese and Burmese cross cats. Our last cat came from a serendipitously timed note in the local vets and was a darling.

Now keen to get a new Burmese/cross cat or kitten... but where from? I can't find any cats on the pets4homes websites or gumtree or the Burmese cat societies (or the vets obv.).... where do we go?

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:46:08

Battersea Dogs Home? Even pedigrees end up in rescues.

NatureAbhorsAHoover Tue 31-Jan-17 20:52:00

Ooh, hadn't tried that! Thanks.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:54:45

Is there a breed rescue?.

NatureAbhorsAHoover Tue 31-Jan-17 21:02:49

Hmm, actually very few cats available to adopt from Battersea dogs and cats home confused
Not fussed about pedigrees, just love the Burmese for their personality and thought there'd be oodles of cats and kittens, especially cross breed etc. Hey ho...

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 31-Jan-17 21:07:22

www.burmesecatclub.com/rehoming.shtml

These have one boy called Farley.

FunkinEll Wed 01-Feb-17 07:02:15

I had the same problem when I was looking to get a kitten. I'm in west London and couldn't find any breeders.

I got two moggie kittens from southall cattery in the end and they are lovely.

Kronutpearl Wed 01-Feb-17 07:03:07

Please do NOT use pets4homes or gumtree! Reputable breeder only for pedigrees.

Daisypopslop Wed 01-Feb-17 17:24:54

Have you been through Burmese cat club sites they have breeder lists. Phone up the area coordinator and find out if anyone has kittens or a litter due. Do your research as if you haven't they will know and not sell you a kitten. Be prepared to travel and be interviewed!!! I have a Burmese kitten I spoke to the right people and got put in touch with a breeder with suitable kittens. I was very fussy as I have young children I wanted a home bred kitten used to children. I now have a bomb proof kitten who adores children! I have had Burmese since I was a child, good luck it's an amazing breed.

Allergictoironing Wed 01-Feb-17 18:02:47

My DBRO has Burmese, I think the breeder he got his from is in Westerham, Kent if that's any good for you?

FannyWisdom Wed 01-Feb-17 18:04:16

Carnaby cats had some babies.
Let me find a link.

Daisypopslop Wed 01-Feb-17 18:26:36

Try the loveburmese website

Daisypopslop Wed 01-Feb-17 18:28:13

www.loveburmese.co.uk/breeders/southeast.html
Has breeders who you contact directly.

NatureAbhorsAHoover Wed 01-Feb-17 21:13:28

@Daisypopslop and others, thank you! Really good advice. Hadn't got my head around the necessity of jumping through a few hoops but I can see that's what we need to do to get a nice, home bred cat.

As I've said, pedigree or even pure blood isn't important to us - we like them for their personality so will do what it takes to get matched with a nice one smile.

I just wish it were easier to scout out older cat/s that need rehoming, there must be many with elderly owners who for various reasons need a new home. Love kittens but also love a civilised grownup cat that's sown her wild oats and burnt off the adolescent craziness grin. This is also true of my DC's grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now