Talk

Advanced search

Cat ate chicken bone, should I take her to vet?

(15 Posts)
Therootofallstuff Tue 31-Jan-17 15:09:19

She found a discarded chicken bone from somewhere, looks like a thigh bone. Has eaten half of it. I'm so worried.

Therootofallstuff Tue 31-Jan-17 15:12:23

I should add that it is a cooked bone. Probably from KFC or somewhere I imagine.

She seems okay but have heard that cooked bones are bad for animals. Hence the panic

Palomb Tue 31-Jan-17 15:15:21

He's a cat. He'll be fine.

Crispbutty Tue 31-Jan-17 15:18:47

Considering cats catch and eat small birds and mammals al the time, I'm sure she will be fine. She's probably ate them many many times from neighbours bins already.

Therootofallstuff Tue 31-Jan-17 15:26:55

Thank you for the replies. I feel a bit more reassured. Yes she probably has eaten them before and I just never knew! I'll keep a close eye on her but she seems fine at the moment

thecatneuterer Tue 31-Jan-17 15:50:33

The two responses above are wrong. Yes, cats eat bones in the wild, but the bones they eat are uncooked. Uncooked bones don't generally do any harm. Cooked bones are brittle and splinter and can cause serious damage and death to any animal eating them.

However they could (and probably will) pass through without problem, but cooked bones are dangerous! If it were me I think I would keep a very close eye out for any changes in behaviour and not let the cat outside for around 24 hours so you know where she is just in case.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 15:57:47

I'm glad the cat neutered posted! Cooked bones are brittle.

Therootofallstuff Tue 31-Jan-17 15:59:41

Oh gosh. Thank you for the advice. What sort of things should I look out for? Things like lethargy?
Should I take her to the vet just in case?

thecatneuterer Tue 31-Jan-17 16:03:03

Yes, things like lethargy. Really any change in behaviour. Why don't you call the vets and explain the situation and let them tell you what you should do? Probably taking her in without symptoms isn't necessary, but I would take to the vets for reassurance/advice.

thecatneuterer Tue 31-Jan-17 16:04:02

I meant to say talk to the vets, not take to the vets.

Therootofallstuff Tue 31-Jan-17 16:18:58

Thanks catneuterer, I will call them now. I'd be beside myself if anything happens to her.

thecatneuterer Tue 31-Jan-17 18:35:37

What did the vet say?

putputput Tue 31-Jan-17 18:42:08

Hope you got through. Cooked chicken bones are NOT ok.
We almost lost one of ours when he got a chicken bone stuck in his throat.

Therootofallstuff Tue 31-Jan-17 19:05:33

Managed to catch vet before he left. He advised pretty much what thecatneuterer said (thank you again) and gave me an emergency number to call in case she presents with any symptoms.

She seems a bit sleepy at the moment though that could be normal and I'm just being hyper vigilant. I've been playing with her fav toys and she is responding as usual though.

I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep much tonight. How long to wait until I absolutely know there's no danger?

Therootofallstuff Tue 31-Jan-17 23:37:23

Still okay...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now