Talk

Advanced search

Microchip cat flap

(19 Posts)
catddu Tue 31-Jan-17 12:45:38

Does anyone have any experience of these cat flaps, good or otherwise? We currently have a local pussy cat that likes to come in and eat my pussy cats food and naturally makes her quite stressed when she sees this cat.My girl won't have a collar so the magnetic ones would be of no use.I'm thinking that the microchip flap is the answer.Thanks

5OBalesofHay Tue 31-Jan-17 12:49:38

We've just installed one for the same reasons as you. It's from SureFlap and it's brilliant

Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 31-Jan-17 12:50:33

had one for years, really good.

StuntNun Tue 31-Jan-17 12:53:03

We have the PetPorte microchip flap. It's great for keeping out other cats but also it has a magnetic lock so it doesn't swing open in high winds. We have ours fitted into our glass back door, we just needed to order a replacement piece of glass for the door with a hole in it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 12:55:45

Yes, we have one. We're on our third as the first 2 were faulty but customer service is very good.

ExplodedCloud Tue 31-Jan-17 12:56:04

We've had the SureFlap for a couple of weeks and it's going well.

ScoopyDoo Tue 31-Jan-17 13:00:13

We have Sureflap for two microchipped cats. It's installed through a wall, so there's about 1ft of tunnel and the flap itself is on the inside.
Once watched one of mine get chased from the bottom of the garden by a bigger cat and she belted in no problem; chasing cat came barrelling through after and straight into locked flap. I'm sure it's nose looked flatter afterwards. It must have hurt, but the flap did it's job perfectly.
The only think I would like is to be able to set it to in-only, out-only, in/out etc remotely or on some sort of timer. I like the cats to be locked in at night and there's no way of doing this except changing the setting manually, so if I'm late home they are still free to wander out (they never do, they are hungry and lazy....). Wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a newer version available where this is an option.

catddu Tue 31-Jan-17 16:32:55

Thanks all.Will opt for the sureflap I think to try and keep the visitor out!

Icequeen01 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:05:45

There is a cat curfew that you can set on the Sureflap* Scooby* which you can set to a designated time I think. Never used it myself (apart from the one time I accidentally set it and that's how I found out about it!). Might be worth checking your instructions or call their customer services for advice.

Icequeen01 Tue 31-Jan-17 19:06:30

Sorry should have said Scoopy!

strawberrypenguin Tue 31-Jan-17 19:07:13

Yep. Sure flap- expensive but great. Does the job and we've only had to change the batteries once in 5 years

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 19:34:41

No curefew on my cat flap. You can turn a knob to set it to close once they've come in for the night though but you need to remember to change it back.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 31-Jan-17 19:42:53

We've got the Sureflap pet door and it's got a timer on it so we don't have to worry about enforcing Harry's curfew.

TizzyDongue Tue 31-Jan-17 19:47:32

SureFlap here too. Well worth it - my cat is chased by another cat a lot. He's now notible more relaxed knowing the other cat can't get into the house (obviously he was still stressed the first few times - he's a clever cat, but he wasn't able to recognise what this new cat flap did!!

Plus the SureFlap doesn't flap in the wind when unlocked - another bonus!!?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 21:12:39

Mine's a Sureflap- I want a timersad

Sadik Tue 31-Jan-17 21:15:51

I think there's different models of Sureflap - I bought the basic one as I was just looking to keep out the local tomcat, but I believe others let you have timer / different cats different rules etc.

catddu Wed 01-Feb-17 08:55:06

Thank you all.Have ordered the sureflap.Having looked on line yesterday ,it is the larger version sureflap,the pet door that has the timer.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 01-Feb-17 09:19:56

We've got the pet door rather than the cat flap as it was slightly bigger and fitted the hole that was already in the wall. Also I couldn't imagine Harry using anything smaller, he's a fussy git creature of habit!

ScoopyDoo Wed 01-Feb-17 10:36:05

Thanks. Should have bought the one with the timer, obvs! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now