Talk

Advanced search

Skinny cat huge appetite

(13 Posts)
monkeywithacowface Sun 29-Jan-17 19:58:00

Older cat (about 13 years old) was always a bit over weight in her younger days but would say for the last 5 years has been on the skinnier side. She's become very skinny in the past couple of years but it's been a slow weight drop. She is however persistently hungry to the point of pestering all the time. Worming treatments are up to date and regular. Saw the vets a few months ago regarding a dodgy tooth and she didn't flag anything up.

In general she is fine, stays in most of the time now but I suspect that's because it's cold and there are some bigger, scarier cats on the block these days (have noticed she poops in the shrubs right by the front door so not even wandering off site these days). When the mood takes her she can be playful and kitten like.

Is it just old age or should I get her checked out?

WomanWithAltitude Sun 29-Jan-17 19:59:07

My old cat had this and it was thyroid issues (which are fairly common in older cat) - definitely get it checked out.

monkeywithacowface Sun 29-Jan-17 20:00:39

Thanks didn't think of thyroid!

diamantegal Sun 29-Jan-17 20:02:01

Might be worth getting her checked in case it's a thyroid problem. Our cat had the same thing - last a lot of weight but was permanently hungry (even stealing food from bins, which she wouldn't have done previously).

Now she's on tablets and back to normal so it wasn't a major issue once we'd spotted it - but it took a while for us to notice.

diamantegal Sun 29-Jan-17 20:02:30

Oops, cross post. But at least we agreed!

EarlGreyT Sun 29-Jan-17 20:02:47

I second the above post. Definitely get it checked out. Overactive thyroid is quite common in older cats and is easily diagnosed and can be treated.

mrsBeverleygoldberg Sun 29-Jan-17 20:02:52

Get her thyroid tested. Very treatable. Medication and possibly an operation depending on the condition of the thyroid. My cat had it and it was kidney failure that he died from.

EarlGreyT Sun 29-Jan-17 20:03:25

Oops, also cross post

Vinorosso74 Sun 29-Jan-17 20:32:54

Yes, does sound like thyroid. Diabetes can make them like this too, is she drinking a lot? So vet trip for kitty, vet can do full screen to check

Trustyourself2 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:28:46

Sounds like hyperthyroidism. My oldest lad has this and my past cats have had it. You need to get it checked, as there could be a kidney problem as well. She'll be thoroughly exhausted if she has hyperthyroidism.

monkeywithacowface Sun 29-Jan-17 21:43:16

Right will get her booked into the vet. Not drinking particularly large volumes of water. Hadn't thought much about the changes as our other cat dies last year and this one has had a total personality transplant since so that was a bit distracting. Other cat was a bit of a bitch queen bee and think old girl is enjoying the peace and knowing she can sleep without random stealth attacks! She's gone from aloof and indifferent to sleeping next to me on the the bed all night every night.

NotYoda Tue 31-Jan-17 19:52:57

yy to hyperthyroidism. Mine developed this at about 13. Lived to 20 on meds.

Trustyourself2 Thu 02-Feb-17 11:29:10

Any update Monkey. Hope everything's ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now