Talk

Advanced search

my kitty is sooo poopy! - best cat litter recommendations please!

(23 Posts)
Mossop17 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:03:19

hi all,

My kitten is always in her litter tray! we have 1 upstairs and one downstairs, shes always in there! sometimes her leavings are normal other times runny sorry TMI lol, shes on felix kitten food as the rehoming place said that whiskers goes through the cats and so do other brands (ive tried lidls).

So it feels like im always battling the smelly tray ( no other bugger changes it here, they just buy air freshners!)

Which is the best litter to use? im currently using felight i think its called, its in a pink bag from asdas, not keen on the wood chip style litters, and i've tried some granule things that according to the pack meant changing the tray every 15 days! it didn't last that long but was better at keeping the smells at bay, that was £3 for a small pack from wilko.

Reccomendations please with prices and where to buy

Many thanks Mossop and Sally

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sat 28-Jan-17 19:07:21

We buy ours in bulk from zooplus. Cats best oko plus.

Wolfiefan Sat 28-Jan-17 19:08:57

If the Felix is upsetting her tummy I would try to slowly introduce something better quality.

Mossop17 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:12:35

i think the felix is fine for her, its when she steals other foods from the other cat whose on whiskers as felix makes her sick! and she steals breakfast milk when she can!

cozietoesie Sat 28-Jan-17 19:33:57

I bet you it's the milk, most cats being lactose intolerant. Any way you can prevent access to that?

Mossop17 Sat 28-Jan-17 19:45:03

i need to retrain hubby to drink his breakfast milk or not leave it on the side!

dementedpixie Sat 28-Jan-17 20:42:47

Maybe wean them both onto a food without added sugar or cereals? I have moved mine to wainwrights food from pets at home. I use a mix of catsan and felight litters.

And yes, avoid milk too

CatAnnoyance Sat 28-Jan-17 20:46:44

I also use Cats Best Oko Plus, it's the best I've used by far. I'd deffo recommend it.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 28-Jan-17 21:28:51

Easier to train a cat than a man.

Smack him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper when he leaves milk out.

cozietoesie Sat 28-Jan-17 22:17:11

One of my mother's friends had an acquaintance (an Emir if I recall) who used to employ a man at parties specifically to go round and biff people with a rolled-up newspaper (The Times of course) if they looked as if they weren't enjoying themselves enough.

Not a cat person, I guess. grin

FunkinEll Sun 29-Jan-17 07:39:50

I've been trying a few over the last few weeks since our 2 kittens arrived. Hit the jackpot with cat's best litter, the one in the green bag. It's flushable which is just brilliant and it clumps so I can get rid of wee too so there are no smells. I tried catsan which has a funny smell to me and then woodchip litter which was messy.

I also found changing their food helped with the massive amount of poo they were producing. They still have some felix (lunch and supper) but also some grain free food for their main meals (breakfast and dinnner) which has sorted out the poo problems massively.

GalenJustGalen Sun 29-Jan-17 15:15:33

I had to put my cat on an all-raw-food diet for health reasons, and her poop stopped smelling. I mean, if I'm right there when she does it, then I can smell it, but it's a huge difference. Also, her poops are much smaller and drier now. So if all else fails, you might consider changing her diet to have fewer carbs.

Mossop17 Sun 29-Jan-17 15:35:17

thanks for all your suggestions ill try different foods and litter combos

CoconuttyOil Mon 30-Jan-17 21:02:55

Aldi clumping litter is good and cheap.

Mossop17 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:06:51

thank you, i bought aldi at the weekend as we ran out and couldn't access the other shops due to traffic

RubbishMantra Tue 31-Jan-17 20:43:21

I'd love that job, biffing people with a newspaper if I deem they're not having enough "fun" cozie! What would one put on a CV for such a position? confused grin

Food - Animonda Carny is a really good, cereal free food, can be bought online from Zooplus. As is Butchers Classic, available from Sainsburys or Tesco. But do the change-over gradually.

Litter - I use Worlds Best or Golden Grey, also bought online from Zooplus.

catlover1987 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:44:41

I use catsan clumping and its fab.

RubbishMantra Tue 31-Jan-17 21:05:06

*... It'll be the cereals in her current food, or like others have said, the milk stealing that are giving her a runny/stinky bum, as many cats are grain/cereal intolerant. They're obligate carnivores, and most of the well known supermarket brands will be bulked up with grains/cereal.

I ensure I feed my cats grain free, and their (lidded) litter trays rarely smell. unless I've just got used to it

biscuitbadger Wed 01-Feb-17 13:09:29

Another vote for cats best oko plus here. Clumping, flushable, biodegradable, compostable, doesn't smell.

dementedpixie Wed 01-Feb-17 13:11:36

Reviews say that one is bad for tracking, do you find that?

Mermaidinthesea Wed 01-Feb-17 13:14:32

Catsan is the only one that is any good and you can get it in big bags.
One of my cats is diarrhoea central so I now have her on dry food only as she is 12 she is on Iams Senior, all other foods give her diarrhoea.
Try dry food only, Iams is pretty good for digestive problems, get the one suitable for her age.
Catsan plus dry food has sorted out the problem now.

friendlyflicka Wed 01-Feb-17 13:26:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

friendlyflicka Wed 01-Feb-17 13:29:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now