Talk

Advanced search

Now is a bad time to get a kitten, right?

(11 Posts)
CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Fri 27-Jan-17 22:41:11

I'm 3 months pregnant, already have a 2 year-old and have just moved house. Friend is looking for homes for kittens of a stray they adopted and found was already pregnant. They're keeping the mum and one kitten but four more need homes. DH and I both love cats and grew up with them and have always said we'd get one - but I imagined adopting an older rescue cat once DC were a bit older.

But now someone is practically begging me to take an adorable ball of fluffy loveliness off their hands. Remind me this is not good timing!

cozietoesie Fri 27-Jan-17 23:04:05

A kitten is far more likely to find a home. Adopting a mature rescue when you're a bit more stable is the best way to go, I'm afraid.

Spybot Fri 27-Jan-17 23:14:18

Doesn't cat poo have a bacteria that should be avoided during pregancy? I think it is Toxoplasmosis. Trouble is a new kitten is likely to have accidents you'll have to clear up. Probably not the best time.

CesareBorgiasUnicornMask Fri 27-Jan-17 23:30:10

Not too worried about toxoplasmosis as I'd wear gloves and be very careful. But yes it's not good timing. Sigh. And that's true that they'll easily be homed.

Bah sensibleness sad.

cozietoesie Fri 27-Jan-17 23:33:31

They're at the incredibly cute stage now. It doesn't last. wink

And imagine yourself lumbering around after a hellion has destroyed half the living room? (When you're very pregnant indeed.)

A bit of waiting might be a better idea. smile

QuestionableMouse Fri 27-Jan-17 23:37:14

I can post photos of my destroyed wallpaper if you need some discouragement! The questionable kitten thinks its great fun to rip it off!

AwkwardSquad Sat 28-Jan-17 20:56:53

Ah get the kitty! You know you want to wink Bah to all this sensibleness grin

Catch583 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:15:25

It's an excellent time but get two, to play and sleep together. Two are no more work than one.

Wolfiefan Mon 30-Jan-17 21:19:16

They thunder around at night and will probably wake the baby.
They will scratch and bite the toddler.
They will need vaccinating, neutering and deflea and worming. More cost at an expensive time.
Sorry. sad

SillyMoomin Tue 31-Jan-17 07:50:19

Nooooooooo ignore everyone saying no!!!

Get the kitten, get the kitten <starts a chant>

NatureAbhorsAHoover Tue 31-Jan-17 16:40:16

Get the kitten!

Toxoplasmosis while pregnant shouldn't even factor into your thoughts - half the homes in Britain have a cat so if it was such a risk factor then surely vast numbers of babies would be born affected hmm. I think most of us who've ever lived with a cat are already carriers.

Yay to fluffy kitty smile and now is the perfect time to get one, while you're at home to look after it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now