Talk

Advanced search

Elderly cat and inconclusive diagnosis (poss CKD/CLD)

(10 Posts)
Kernowgal Fri 27-Jan-17 17:42:52

Hi all,

My cat (16, a rescue with no history as owner died) has recently lost a bit of weight and started drinking and urinating much more, and being much more talkative. Say over the last two or three months or so. He's also stopped going outside whereas he'd always go out a couple of times a day/night.

I took him to the vet for tests (blood and urine) last week but they were unable to pinpoint anything, saying one type of liver enzymes were high, but the other was normal; ditto for kidneys. His urine was excessively dilute (as you'd expect from excessive drinking). She also noted a heart murmur.

Apart from the weeing, he is eating normally, pooing normally and runs around after me, up and down stairs etc without any trouble.

She suggested I try him on a renal diet (Royal Canin) or have him scanned (heart plus liver/kidneys). However, she said because the blood tests were inconclusive, there was a good chance a scan wouldn't reveal anything (she has ruled out pancreatitis and hyperthyroidism as the tests showed nothing abnormal). The scans will cost £400 inc sedation if required. I don't have insurance because it was very expensive due to his age.

My current plan is to try the food for a couple of months and see how he gets on, and then look to get a scan if he isn't improving. What do you all think? He is a delightful, affectionate little cat, enjoys life and I'd like to keep him in good health for as long as possible!

Vinorosso74 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:30:26

I'm not a vet but there's a few on here. Do you exactly which liver enzymes were elevated (I know there's at least 3) and same for kidneys.
Scans are quite costly. What were the thoughts of the vet on trying him on the renal food for a couple of months? I understand your logic and it sounds quite sensible to me.

Vinorosso74 Fri 27-Jan-17 18:30:55

*Do you know....

WhirlwindHugs Fri 27-Jan-17 18:36:23

I'd recommend tryong the renal diet. We missed kidney troubles in our cat which lead to a sudden spike in blood pressure and she went totally blind sad it's kind of one of those things that can happen very quickly without any major symptoms unfortunately (she'd been fine just a few months before when we did a health check)
The royal canin renal diet has totally worked to keep everything under control, so if I was in your situation with another cat in the future I would definitely try it as a preventative measure. If you're still concerned later you can always go back for more tests.

Kernowgal Fri 27-Jan-17 19:57:30

Thanks for your replies! I don't know which enzymes were elevated unfortunately, but can find out. It was the vet's suggestion to try the food; she mentioned having the scans but seemed quite happy with the prospect of trying the food first and keeping an eye on him with regular urine tests and weigh-ins.

I'll go with the food then, and take him in every couple of weeks for a check-up. I'll also save up towards the cost of the scans. If no improvement, I can get the scans done.

Thanks, you've reassured me that I was thinking along the right lines!

Kernowgal Fri 27-Jan-17 20:04:27

Here's a pic of His Handsomeness. Not bad for 16!

Vinorosso74 Fri 27-Jan-17 20:37:11

He is a handsome fella tho he doesn't look impressed having his photo taken.
And yes I think you're doing the right thing.

Kernowgal Fri 27-Jan-17 20:46:27

He's not much of a poser, it has to be said...

OK, will order some of the Royal Canin and start moving him over gradually.

WhirlwindHugs Fri 27-Jan-17 21:50:11

He's lovely! Hope all goes well.

kernowgal Sun 19-Feb-17 09:14:46

Quick update - vast improvement on new food (Royal Canin and Hill's). No longer drinking and weeing constantly. Hoping he might put a bit of weight back on as he's very thin.

Unexpected bonus: his poo no longer smells utterly rancid (it used to stink out the entire house!!). Barely smells at all in fact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now