Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat Tracker

(34 Posts)
fledglingFTB Fri 27-Jan-17 10:47:52

Hiya,

I'm looking into these and wondered if anyone uses a good one? What I'd like is:
- lightweight/unobtrusive
- waterproof
- links to an app so I can see the both the current location and track daily movement in real time

I can't seem to find anything that does all three

cozietoesie Fri 27-Jan-17 10:56:17

The big problem is, I think, power. Whoever really licks the battery issue/makes them work with microchips, is going to clean up the market.

I don't think that there's anything available to meet your specific needs at the moment, I fear. Happy to be proved wrong of course.

fledglingFTB Fri 27-Jan-17 11:15:13

Booo sad
Thought that might be the case

thecatneuterer Fri 27-Jan-17 13:08:45

Cozie is right unfortunately. Someone is going to crack this at some point and when they do they will make an absolute fortune.

RubbishMantra Fri 27-Jan-17 15:31:25

I've been mulling these over for a while. Not particularly lightweight, but ticks 2 of your boxes.

I currently use a Loca8tor, now known as Tabcat. But it works on the hot cold principle - you have to go out looking with the small receiver. They suit me because I roughly know my cats haunts, and they're lightweight.

fledglingFTB Fri 27-Jan-17 17:07:19

This Nuzzle Collar looks perfect, but I think it's US only

LivingInMidnight Fri 27-Jan-17 17:44:28

I'm interested too. I don't want my cat to have to walk around with a brick on his collar but I would love to know where he is when he's on a 12 hour walkabout.

TizzyDongue Fri 27-Jan-17 17:47:41

I ask this frequently. Why aren't the microchips trackable? I mean you can track the chip in phones!!

LivingInMidnight Fri 27-Jan-17 17:52:03

Tizzy because they would have to be huge, powered and have radios/sensors. Who would want to put that inside their cat? Changing the batteries would also be difficult.

TizzyDongue Fri 27-Jan-17 18:29:04

Not suggesting putting a actual mobile with a battery into a cat!!!

You can get trackable microchips!! It would be good if the ones used by the vets were these ones.

TizzyDongue Fri 27-Jan-17 18:36:09

Hmmm or maybe you can't. I feel I've been told lies in the past.

OK so I retract my comment. And my new one is someone needs to invent s trackable microchip

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 28-Jan-17 09:51:27

Do the collars have the safety feature, so they snap if they get caught? Otherwise you willrisk accidentally throttling your cat. What about the trackers used for hawking? They must be lightweight as they are glued to a flight feather. Any way to attach one of those to a safety collar?

EachandEveryone Sat 28-Jan-17 23:40:50

My tab cat arrived this week and I've never been so disappointed. It looks like a fantastic piece of kit and is lightweight. The flat batteries do not stay in the tabs so they lose connection. It comes with two tabs and both gave the same results I couldn't connect them to the tracker at all. I'm just st starting to let my wee one out and I'm in an area with lots of workshops it would've been ideal. I'm gutted TBH. She wore it with pride as well

Katymac Sat 28-Jan-17 23:45:26

The nuzzle attaches to your own collar you can use a break away one; lots of them are just too big for cats and the battery issue is a right pain

Nuzzle apparently won't be in the UK until later this year

there do seem to be a lot more options in America over here

Still searching for the right one for us

DJKKSlider Sat 28-Jan-17 23:54:02

There is a device called 'Tile Mate'
They're designed for GPS tracking of anything at all.
They're small, about a 50p size, they have a hole in the corner to hang on key chains, they're relatively cheap and last about a year with no need to change batteries etc. When tephy need replacing, you get the next one cheaper.

DJKKSlider Sat 28-Jan-17 23:57:43

Should note, the Tile isn't a GPS tracker though. It relies on Bluetooth to 'ping' the tile. If the tile gets too far from the phone, it only stores last known place.
I hope that make sense. confused

Aspiringcatlady Sun 29-Jan-17 00:01:12

I really want a cat tracker, my boy went missing for two weeks, we were out of our minds with worry and he had been camping out in a garden 30 seconds away the whole time. Now if I could of just tracked him, we wouldn't of had this problem!

Katymac Sun 29-Jan-17 00:01:53

I've been looking at them (argos 4 for about£45)

Do you use them?

Katymac Sun 29-Jan-17 00:03:17

That would stop it being suitable for us - but thanks - I know someone who loses their keys & phone ALL the time

DJKKSlider Sun 29-Jan-17 00:10:10

The tile is okay for say a cat that vanishes but is just in the near vicinity. Garden, or shed, or next door, the range is around 100ish feet.
There's a newer version now, a gen2 model, I dont know if the range is any different.

I know a dog Walker who has a few tiles that she attaches to the collars of the dogs she's walking, but obviously dogs missing in woods isn't the same as cat wandered to number 98 for his 6th dinner of the evening.

Have a research, amazon questions and answers are a mine of info.

6cats3gingerkittens Sun 29-Jan-17 22:02:27

Have a look at Parsley the cat on Facebook. His human mother uses a tracker on him as he is famous for his wanderings around his home town of Oban in Scotland. His page is quite amusing and I'm sure the CM, cat's mother, would help.

fledglingFTB Mon 30-Jan-17 08:08:46

Thanks for that, Parsley uses Tractive. It looks so big though! But I also have a MC. So I'm going to look into it. 🐱

Katymac Mon 30-Jan-17 08:10:54

It does look really big - Flynn is a Siamese & I thnk it would be enormous on him

fledglingFTB Mon 30-Jan-17 10:07:24

Actually Tractive2 is smaller, I'm tempted. Esp after seeing that Parsley travels 10k per day!!! But it does have the ongoing service charge I was trying to avoid.

Anyone using a tracker, what collar do you recommend? If i'm going to strap a lead weight to my cat I figure it best be as safe as poss.

Saying that, mine is struggling to understand the concept of a cat flap, so I may not need to worry so much 🙄

lljkk Mon 30-Jan-17 10:47:17

GPAWs tells you where they've been but not where they are now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now