Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about giardia

(9 Posts)
Littlemissindependent Thu 26-Jan-17 20:03:40

Anyone have any experience of this please?

cozietoesie Thu 26-Jan-17 21:18:26

In a cat or in a human? There's one poster who (I think) had an infected kitten and caught something from them. Keep an eye on the thread in case they see it.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 26-Jan-17 21:20:27

My human friend had it. Cured with metronidazole.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 26-Jan-17 21:21:51

I had it - caught abroad. The stench is very specific and will stay with me for ever more (as a memory I mean!).

Poor cat!

RubbishMantra Thu 26-Jan-17 21:38:37

I caught it while travelling around W. Africa, in my early 20s. I've built up a resistance to it, not sure if cats can though.

If you suspect your cat has it, best bring a fresh poo sample in, and ask them to test it for Giardia.

Littlemissindependent Fri 27-Jan-17 06:59:04

Yes, I meant in cats. Or, more specifically kittens. I'm 90% certain she had it when she came to me from the RSPCA, and a subsequent conversation with them pretty much confirmed my suspicions that they knew angry. She's been treated with Panacur, but as soon as she stops the treatment, the stinking, runny diarrhoea is straight back. Returning to vets today with her, but just have this horrible feeling that the outcome isn't going to be good sad. She's so tiny and I'm bloody livid with the RSPCA for putting me in this situation

newbieho Mon 30-Jan-17 17:47:27

One of our cats had got it but apart from Panacur he was also on tablets for a while (don't remember tablets name though). He is an outdoor hunter so probably caught it from the prey. He managed to recover but the carpet had to be washed as the stench and stains were horrible confused

HyacinthsBucket Mon 30-Jan-17 17:50:18

My dog had it = it was a combination treatment of panacur and antibiotic i think, and he had the stuff for 7 days. It was awful what it did to his stomach.........and recovery was slowish if that's any help.

Littlemissindependent Mon 30-Jan-17 21:29:47

Thanks. Snow is now on a longer course of Panacur and metronidazole and seems to be improving. I guess the real test will be when she stops the medication to see if it returns sad she certainly looks healthier and seems happier, so fingers crossed this will sort it out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now