Talk

Advanced search

Microchip activated cat flap

(8 Posts)
OkyDoke Wed 25-Jan-17 08:30:44

We have recently had one fitted on our kitchen door. There is a cat flap on our conservatory which every cat in the neighbourhood can get in, which meant we had lots of cats that weren't our own in our house all the time. Our three cats had no problems with the other cats but they were eating all their food and on Monday when I came downstairs there was a cat in our dining room. I assume he had been there all night. So we fitted a microchip activated cat flap, which only ours can get through into the kitchen door. The other cats can still get in the conservatory, but we're okay with that.

If you have one... how long did it take for yours to get used to it? They seem a bit afraid of it at the moment. It makes a little unlocking noise when they get close which seems to spook them a bit.

Any advice or do I just need to sit on one side with Dreamies for a while to coax them though?

Thanks!

Eatingcheeseontoast Wed 25-Jan-17 08:34:13

Dreamies. Took one of mine a day the cheeky chappy other one just barged on through.

YesItsMeIDontCare Wed 25-Jan-17 08:35:20

Stay strong OP.

I've had this many times with cats in my life - and that's with bog-standard flaps.

Don't be like my mum. She has always had a cat flap. She always opens the door for her cats.

Wishing you strength in your trying times. Good luck.

Calca Wed 25-Jan-17 08:36:44

we've got one and I think it took 2/3 days until they were happily barging through.

NecklessMumster Wed 25-Jan-17 08:36:46

It took two or three days for ours to get used to it, we did have to do some coaxing then she just did it. We set it so she can go out but not get in as she was dragging birds in and we use the clicking noise as a request to be let in, like a doorbell!

Twolittlejobbys Wed 25-Jan-17 08:36:57

Sorry no help but kinda reminds me of the time my sister left her kitchen window open all night and her cat had all her wee cats pals back for a party 😂. There was about 10 of them in the morning!

OkyDoke Wed 25-Jan-17 08:50:45

Glad to hear they get used to it in the end! It's only been overnight so far but they're going to have to get used to it unfortunately. I've left two of them in the kitchen so they're going to have to use it to get into back garden etc. I would say I dread what I'll come home to, but DH gets home first haha. Will try the Dreamies tonight as well! Thank you, all!

TimeIhadaNameChange Wed 25-Jan-17 09:08:18

You could try using a clothes peg to keep it open for a day or two, so they get used to going through and hearing the click without having to actually push the door.

It took mine about a week, but I took it slowly. Would peg it all the way up during the day, then lower the peg a little more each evening so she got used to having to push it open. But, of course, you have to change the side it's open each time the cat goes through (hence evening only). On the Saturday I sat with her and threw treats through then shut the door completely. She got the hang of it immediately (though tried to convince me it only actually worked if treats were involved!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now