Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat got a dirty bottom

(7 Posts)
Burntbum Mon 23-Jan-17 22:21:30

My cat came in tonight and I noticed a nasty smell. Checked him over and he has a dirty bottom with matted fur. I've tried to clean him but he was very unhappy with that and I wasn't really able to tackle the matts. He's only six but I've started to have issues with him not cleaning between his shoulder blades and getting matted fur. I always thought this was a problem that affected older cats.

Any ideas what is going on with him? Should I try cleaning him again or take him to the vets?

Ilovecaindingle Mon 23-Jan-17 22:29:04

Personally would take a trip to the vets as lack of self care can be a concern in cats.

CatBallou2 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:37:49

You could give him a helping hand by gently combing him. Also, if his bottom is particularly furry, you cold try to trim it. If his cleaning habits have changed, maybe he's in pain or has he put on weight, which is stopping him from being able to reach his nether regions?

Burntbum Mon 23-Jan-17 22:53:16

He's a shorthair so not got a particularly furry bottom. He's a little heavier than normal but not overweight. He always gains a little in the winter and loses it again when the weather improves. He doesn't seem to be any bigger than he normally gets at this time of year.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain. Happy to be handled (just not happy to be cleaned!) and eating well.

I'll try and wash him again in the morning but I'll wrap him in a towel as my arms got the brunt of his displeasure this evening!

I'll give the vets a call too and see if they can give him a quick check up. I thought they might think I was a little odd to take in a cat simply because he's not cleaning himself.

RubbishMantra Mon 23-Jan-17 22:55:50

I would make an appointment with the vet. Cats are by nature fastidiously clean. Lack of/inadequate grooming can indicate all kinds of problems. When did the vet last check his teeth? I ask because I have a cat the same age who recently required a scale and polish, due to tartar build up.

Burntbum Fri 27-Jan-17 18:36:45

So he's been to the vets today and we have a diagnosis - fat and lazy! The vet has advised me to switch him to a wet food as it is less calorific than dry food. I've spent the last hour or so researching cat food and I'm thoroughly confused. All the ones I've looked at say they are complementary foods. Can anyone recommend a high quality complete wet food?

Toddlerteaplease Fri 27-Jan-17 20:15:52

I took my girl to the vets last night as she had a big lump stuck to her. (My fault, for giving her a wet sachet) it was too sticky for me to get off. So was much less stressful for all of us. Got her claws done at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now