Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything I should be doing differently/giving him?

(15 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 22-Jan-17 15:18:08

Harry is 12 in March (we think) and I was wondering if there's anything I should be doing for him or giving him.

He has a Country Hunter pouch for breakfast, James Wellbeloved biscuits for lunch and a normal Natures Menu pouch for dinner. Only the biscuits are for senior cats as there's only one NM flavour for seniors. Should I be giving him any supplements? It would have to be liquid and go in his food as I can't get pills down him. Apparently his jaw is moth eaten where the infection damage done it so I don't know if he should have anything for that.

I'll speak to the vet when he's back in March, but I thought I'd ask for opinions or suggestions on here first!

cozietoesie Sun 22-Jan-17 16:02:36

How is he behaving, generally?

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 22-Jan-17 16:55:44

Senior food is normally a bit lower in calories, to help control weight if they are getting less active. If he's not too fat, not too thin and still reasonably active, coat looks good, doesn't seem stiff or sorry, I'd carry on doing what you are doing. Vet probably the best person to advise on the jaw.

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 22-Jan-17 16:57:44

Sore, not sorry!
The cat vitamin / mineral blend that the factories use is normally the same for senior and adult, no special "extras".

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 22-Jan-17 18:09:45

He's absolutely fine at the moment (touching wood), this morning he was running around like a kitten - I love seeing him like that, even if he does wreck the living room in the process! He's asleep in front of the radiator the rest of the time.

The vet hasn't mentioned his weight for a while now, his coat is soft and he doesn't seem stiff, apart from when he hasn't moved for a few hours! He's eating wet and dry food, apart from one of the NM pouches so I think a local charity will do well here!

Thanks for your replies, I'm probably looking for problems where there aren't any - I just want to make sure we are doing the right thing by him.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 22-Jan-17 18:09:53

In humans the bone would remain moth eaten, it must be still strong if he can eat biscuits.

Harry is better looked after than a lot of kids.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 22-Jan-17 18:11:57

I've watched him and he gets them in his mouth and then seems to tip them to the back where his remaining teeth are.

I probably do spoil him a little bit!

cozietoesie Sun 22-Jan-17 18:13:08

A little bit?? grin

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 22-Jan-17 18:18:02

Oh OK, a lot!

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 22-Jan-17 18:24:20

12 isn't particularly geriatric in this day and age. My last cat made it to 20 and cozie's seniorboy was on the ark with Noah, I think!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 22-Jan-17 18:36:31

I love the idea of Seniorboy on the ark!

Harry likes sitting on a cabinet in the bedroom giving death stares to the neighbours gazing out. Obviously at the moment he can jump up but DH was talking about making him a little ramp when he's older!

RubbishMantra Sun 22-Jan-17 19:45:42

I think just keep on as you're doing Pink. Harry's a well looked after cat. smile

There was something on here about Green Lipped Mussel extract for the seniors a couple of years back, I think you tried it with SB, cozie?

Nice to indulge our feline companions.

cozietoesie Sun 22-Jan-17 19:51:30

I did indeed, Mantra, but I think he was too elderly at the time (already 17) so needed those hard-hitting meds. wink Harry might be a better case to try them? (At a youthful 12. grin)

RubbishMantra Sun 22-Jan-17 19:52:51

And your DH (planning on making H a little ramp) sounds like a diamond.

cozietoesie Sun 22-Jan-17 19:54:31

Sorry - try it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now