Talk

Advanced search

Kittens going outside

(8 Posts)
giggly Sat 21-Jan-17 23:44:42

I've got 2 6 month old brothers who have started to show interest in going outside. All inoculated and flea treatment done. They have the run of the house except night time as they just love to.wake me up every few hours😪
I let them come into the garden today but.my dd 7 got very upset in case they ran away so had to bring them in after a few minutes.
In fairness I was pretty anxious as well. They both took their time sniffing about and came to me when I offered them their treats. Then I chucked them back in the kitchen😼
My question really is should I continue to introduce them outdoors together for a few minutes at a time or do it individualy.for longer if my nerves can take it.
They are microchiped a small they came from a rescue centre.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 22-Jan-17 08:08:28

Are they neutered?

Icequeen01 Sun 22-Jan-17 08:44:35

Only if they have been neutered! I used to let mine out for 30 mins or so for the first week but leave the back door open for them to come back in if something spooked them. Didn't take long for them to start hopping over the neighbour's fences to have an explore. As long as you have had them for longer than 3 weeks indoors so they know where home is they should be fine. I've had lots of kittens over the years and the only one I had go missing was an adult cat who got locked in some one's shed!

ClaraLane Sun 22-Jan-17 08:50:28

They need to be neutered before they start going outside. After they've had their op I suggest you let them out little and often, try and do it just before their normal mealtimes so they're hungry and then they should come back quickly when they hear food "noises".

giggly Sun 22-Jan-17 15:45:23

Sorry should have said they are neutered. I let one out today for about 5 minutes but the cold chased us back in. Not sure if I've the nerve to just let them go without helicoptering over them.😐

giggly Sun 22-Jan-17 15:46:33

Think I need to toughen up.as they are on the windowsill looking lovingly at the garden.

MycatsaPirate Sun 22-Jan-17 15:56:39

Let them out before feeding them.

And be prepared that they will probably disappear at some point for a few hours but they will come back.

We have got four cats, the newest one is 5 and she came to us in August. She's only recently started venturing out but the first time she went out properly, out of the garden, she was gone for nearly 12 hours. We eventually found her stuck in next doors garden unable to get out due to hedges/fences/stupidity of the cat.

She hasn't ventured out of the garden since the indignity of me scrambling through neighbours bushes and then dp hanging over the top of the fence from the lane out the back on a ladder grabbing her by the scruff and hauling her indoors grin

Ilovecaindingle Sun 22-Jan-17 19:59:44

Make sure they know their names and come when called with the dry food box rattling as an incentive!! And make sure you get pics!! My 2 brothers went onto my ds scooters and they looked fab like they were really `playing out '!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now