Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cat ate a poisonous leaf :(

(27 Posts)
biscuitbadger Tue 17-Jan-17 19:42:35

He ate the leaf of a dragon tree, I had no idea it was toxic to cats but luckily saw him do it and thought to check.

I'm in the waiting room at the vets now, he's been taken off for them to try and make him sick sad

thecatneuterer Tue 17-Jan-17 19:53:29

Oh no. I don't even know what a dragon tree is. I hope he's ok

biscuitbadger Tue 17-Jan-17 20:20:26

It's a very common house plant.

He was really going for it. He would have had more if I'd not stopped him.

He's under general anaesthetic now - they tried to make him sick but it didn't work, now they're washing his stomach out. It could cause kidney or heart failure. He has to stay in overnight.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 17-Jan-17 20:27:54

Oh that's awful for you both. I'm resigned to no house plants here, he chews the box trees growing in the garden hmm

They just really like chewing plants.

biscuitbadger Tue 17-Jan-17 21:42:11

It's amazing cats survive in the wild given how many plants are poisonous to them!

At home waiting for updates. Last call vet said he'd had his stomach pumped and seemed to be recovering well from anaesthetic.

Not sure I'll be getting much sleep tonight. I feel awful I didn't even think to check out houseplants were ok.

Vinorosso74 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:57:42

Fingers and paws crossed here for a speedy recovery.

ChishandFips33 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:00:22

The dracanea?? I'm horrified - I have these all over!!!

I knew about lilies but not these...

I hope your little fellar gets better soon flowers

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 17-Jan-17 22:07:32

I hope he's ok in the morning. At least he's had his stomach washed out.

Poor cat.

cozietoesie Tue 17-Jan-17 22:08:18

I hate to tell you, Fluffy, but I used to have a beautiful ficus tree - all silk.

Guess what Seniorboy was eating! grin

It had to go in the bin.

biscuitbadger Tue 17-Jan-17 22:23:11

I know, Chishandfips, who'd have thought. I also knew about lilies. Which apparently includes peace lilies, another super common house plant.

Vinorosso74 Wed 18-Jan-17 08:45:13

How is he this morninh?

biscuitbadger Wed 18-Jan-17 11:01:57

He's home now, looking a little sorry for himself but seems ok. They've done some blood tests and I'm waiting for a phone call with the results. And trying to sort out the massive insurance claim.

Vinorosso74 Wed 18-Jan-17 13:11:09

Pleased to hear he's home. They do like to cause us humans stress and worry, good job they're cute!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 18-Jan-17 18:03:16

Good grief is nothing safe, obviously silk tastes yummy too.

I hope his blood tests come back normal. Poor lad.

cozietoesie Wed 18-Jan-17 18:29:35

That's a 'Thank Goodness for litter trays'. I'd never have known if he didn't use an inside tray. wink

biscuitbadger Wed 18-Jan-17 19:01:34

Thank you. Blood tests all clear, so touch wood that's all over now.

Because he's so new to us I was worried this would set him back in terms of settling in, but he's been fine at home, lovely boy smile

thecatneuterer Wed 18-Jan-17 19:06:20

That's great. So are the dragon trees in the compost now?

Oldraver Wed 18-Jan-17 19:35:05

Oh gosh how frightening...I found our cat trying to eat a Hemerocallis...very poisonous for cats. I now have them all in little tents but will be removing them form the garden this year. He eats all kinds of plants the silly bugger

I have poisonous for cats on my bookmarks all the time

ErrolTheDragon Wed 18-Jan-17 20:20:05

Peace lilies aren't as bad as others, it turns out - they don't cause renal failure. The information on the various internet sites seems to have been updated in the last 9 years or so since our dog ate every leaf off one. We'd had the plant for years, previous dog had never shown any interest in it or any other houseplant, so we didn't even think about it. Cue much puzzlement followed by consternation when I found the pot with no green left.... internet sources were alarming, it was a bank holiday but spoke to vet on phone who recommended good hydration and wait and see. We feared, based on what we'd read, that his kidneys were going to pack up. So.... then the dog goes into the garden and starts (for the first and afaik last time) eating a plant related to meadowsweet, which internet says is harmless and used in herbal medicine. And then .... nothing. He wasn't sick, no signs of discomfort or anything. confused He's coming up to 11 and in excellent health.

But all our houseplants are above his reach now (easy enough with a dachshund)

So, OP, hope the dragon plant turns out not to be too bad....worrying about a sick (or in our case, not) pet is horrible.flowers

CatsGoPurrrr Wed 18-Jan-17 21:25:38

Biscuit, so glad your cat is alright.

But: I've had a read of the Link. What houseplants aren't bad for cats??

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 18-Jan-17 21:31:33

Well not silk ones by the sounds of it.

We need to buy naice sculptures instead, and blue tak them down.

Rubberubberduckduck Wed 18-Jan-17 21:41:54

Our 3 cats decided to eat some lilies. All 3 of them.. on a Sunday. Had to take them to the emergency vets and they stayed in until the Tuesday. It was a worrying time and the house felt quite and empty without them. They were fine in the end but had to go on IV fluids for 48 hours to flush everything through their systems and have repeat blood tests.

Thank god for pet insurance but I still had to pay out a grand (thank god for credit cards) until they paid out.

Cats eat the most random of things. Hope yours makes a full recovery!!!

biscuitbadger Wed 18-Jan-17 21:48:34

Jeez rubberduck that must have been stressful!

I think orchids are ok for cats?

GardenGeek Wed 18-Jan-17 23:43:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GardenGeek Wed 18-Jan-17 23:44:01

posted too soon...

Glad your kitty is getting better smile what a relief

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now