Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour feeding our cat and giving him meds!

(53 Posts)
Tex111 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:18:57

Our cat, Jones, has a cat flap and has always come and gone as he pleases. I noticed that he hadn't eaten his food last Thursday and then he didn't come home for a few days. I started posting on social media that he was missing and a neighbour got in touch to say that she had been caring for a cat since September who had been ill and injured and could it be Jones. I assumed not since our cat had been fine, been to the vet in Sept and to the cattery in October and had no problems, but I went round just to rule it out. It was Jones!

The lady had been feeding him 6-7 sachets of wet cat food a day (which explains the vomiting at home). Jones isn't allowed wet cat food because of his gingivitis and eats a special dental care cat food. So, I knew why he was going to the lady's house. She went on to say that he had been very ill in October and she had given him antibiotics from her vet and had been giving him worming meds as well. I give him Advocate every month so I'm concerned that this double dosing has been bad for him. She also said that he was badly injured and she had been caring for his wounds. Jones is a scrappy cat, almost feral, and often has scratches on his ears. We watch them and take him to the vet if they're not healing but he has certainly been fine for the last three months so I'm not sure what she's talking about.

The lady said she tried to get him into a carrier to take him to a vet but it was impossible (as I said he's very temperamental) so she hadn't been able to have him checked for a chip (he is chipped). She also said that they were on the verge of having him put down over Christmas because he was in such a bad way! He was still coming home at Christmas and he was fine. She also suggested that Jones was traumatised and had perhaps been used for cat fights by 'unsavoury people'. All completely mad but I have never felt so judged in my life.

I've got Jones at home and bought a litter box so we can keep him inside for a couple of weeks and hopefully break the habit of going to the other house. I have no doubt that he'll be back there because he loves wet cat food. The lady has said she won't give him any more wet food but will let him have dry food with her other cats, which isn't very helpful.

I wouldn't be concerned if the lady was happy to have him round but her talk of putting down a healthy cat worries me. Undoubtedly Jones is a rangy, grumpy, slightly scraggy animal but he's been that way since he was a kitten. He's now 8 years old.

Not sure what else I can do. Any advice?

NaughtyNiffler Tue 17-Jan-17 19:23:52

Ugh! Naughty neighbour! Did you tell her not to feed your cat?

ReggaeShark Tue 17-Jan-17 19:30:44

Contact the vet.

Tex111 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:36:54

Taking Jones to the vet this week for a check up and to get some advice. Seems like an odd situation. I can't imagine taking such liberties with someone's pet.

Dailyfuckingsnail Tue 17-Jan-17 19:44:01

This is crazy!! Why does she think he was so injured?!

CrazyCatLaydee123 Tue 17-Jan-17 19:49:21

I wonder if the RSPCA could advise?

Ilovecaindingle Tue 17-Jan-17 19:52:54

Ask your vet for a quick list of his conditions and required diet. . Give it to the woman and say if it is still obviious she is feeding /self medicating your per you will have to involve the police. He is legally your cat and she is effectively poisoning him!!

StumblyMonkey Tue 17-Jan-17 19:57:21

Does he wear a collar?

It is very difficult to work out whether a cat is stray or not if they're not wearing a collar and you can't get them to the vets to be microchipped.

It's annoying that she's still going to feed him. TBH it will be pissing her own cats off and she should really get a microchip cat flap so her own cats have their 'safe space' in her house without other cats coming over.

Weird that she thought of having him PTS...what did she think was wrong with him?

GummyGoddess Tue 17-Jan-17 19:59:14

I would probably email his photo to all vets in the area in case she suddenly feels he is in a bad way again.

ooerrmissus Tue 17-Jan-17 20:05:21

If she couldn't take him to the vets, how the hell did she get antibiotics for him? Or has she been giving him meds prescribed for a different cat?

Either way, she's off her tits. I'd ask your vet for advice.

WetsTheFinger Tue 17-Jan-17 20:05:48

Why didn't the vet scan his chip?

Tex111 Tue 17-Jan-17 20:19:16

She said she rang her vet and he gave her the antibiotics without seeing Jones. Surely, that's not right. How could he know what they would be used for.

Jones won't wear a collar. Have tried half a dozen times but he always gets them off.

The lady says she has a microchip cat flap but had never set it up. She says she will do that now, which is something.

Tex111 Tue 17-Jan-17 20:21:40

I don't know what she thought was wrong with him in order to put him down. Said she spoke to the RSPCA about him and that was their recommendation. I did notice that her cat was plump and docile, which Jones is not. Perhaps she'd just never encountered such a grumpy, scrappy cat?? I can't imagine.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 17-Jan-17 20:24:15

A vet prescribed antibiotics to a cat they'd never seen? I find that unlikely.

What a bitch.

FallenSky Tue 17-Jan-17 20:26:52

We have a neighbour that feeds our cats, in fact she feeds all the cats in the street, and that's bad enough. But to give medication and consider PTS without even checking for a chip is crazy! I don't actually believe her story about the antibiotics though. I would be very surprised if a vet gave out anti-b's over the phone without having ever examined the animal.

PuppyMonkey Tue 17-Jan-17 20:33:56

Barmy woman. shock

I don't think a vet would prescribe antibiotics to a cat they'd not seen. Mine insists on weighing my cat before they do anything at all. She's a menace - I'd send her a solicitor letter to say if she dares give your cat medication or tries to have him put down, you'll take get to court.

PuppyMonkey Tue 17-Jan-17 20:35:00

* her

But she is also a get grin

bloodyteenagers Tue 17-Jan-17 20:37:04

Call her bluff with the anti-bs.ask for the vets name. Either the vet needs reporting or they need to be aware she's medicating different cats

WetsTheFinger Tue 17-Jan-17 23:16:36

No way a vet would prescribe new meds to any animal without seeing it first. And antibiotics wouldn't be handed out on repeat prescription either. So she must have taken it into a consult.

Tex111 Wed 18-Jan-17 00:38:02

I did ask who her vet is so I have the details. She said that he knows her well and prescribed the meds after a phone consultation. I thought that sounded odd as I can't imagine my vet doing such a thing. That's a good point about needing to weigh the cat to work out the dosage. Curiouser and curiouser.

NightWanderer Wed 18-Jan-17 00:54:05

Talk to her vet and hopefully she can have a word. We had a similar situation with a neighbour trying to adopt our cat, it was very stressful.

bloodyteenagers Wed 18-Jan-17 01:53:16

Google the vet and make sure they are legit then call from the nets number.

Tex111 Wed 18-Jan-17 07:30:11

Grrrr, so irritated. I went out and bought a litter tray, set up Jones' food in the hallway, taped up the cat flap so he couldn't get out and told DH to shut the downstairs doors last night to keep Jones in. DH forgot and Jones clawed through the tape and got out. I'm sure he's gone straight back to the mad lady's house and I'll have to go round there again today to get him.

And I was awake half the night last night stressing about this. So irritated with DH.

Tex111 Wed 18-Jan-17 08:36:55

Emailed the lady about the cat getting out and said I would come and get him. Asked her not to feed him or give him any meds. She is now asking for a contribution to set up her microchip cat flap as they can't keep Jones out! I'm speechless. She shouldn't have been feeding him in the first place and now that he's attached to them she wants us to help pay to keep him out! Fucking hell. I don't know what to say to her.

thatwouldbeanecumenicalmatter Wed 18-Jan-17 08:52:30

shock

Tell her to get fucked - cheeky cow! Her house, her outlook to keep pets/other animals out. She sounds like a right scammer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now