Talk

Advanced search

Any Siamese owners?

(25 Posts)
Butterflies12345 Mon 16-Jan-17 07:14:52

We've got a new Siamese kitten and she's a delight but we're having problems with her at night. The only place she'll settle to sleep is on my chest which has led to some disturbed nights (especially when she sleep talks),

I'm keen to establish good habits for her now. Should I keep her out of the bedroom at night even if she calls out lots?

cozietoesie Mon 16-Jan-17 10:18:11

All of my bonded boys have needed to sleep in bed with me. For all of their lives. Sorry.

She should be sleeping through by now though. What is this 'sleep talking' like?

cozietoesie Mon 16-Jan-17 12:57:31

I recall that Firstcat - an old fashioned seal boy - was given to me as a 'single-figures' birthday present. It is not something I'd recommend because the fallout if he'd 'taken' to one of the other family members could have been awful. My Mum was just plain lucky, though, because he bonded with me. She got away with it.

Anyway. At some appallingly early hour, I went down to meet my present and then, after an hour or so, I went back to my Mum and said 'What do I do now?' She lifted a bleary-eyed head from the pillow and replied 'Why don't you take him to bed?'

So I did. He snuggled down happily and we both drifted off to sleep. Thus started a very long relationship with Siamese. smile

Toddlerteaplease Mon 16-Jan-17 14:50:45

Cats sleep through? What is this curious concept?

cozietoesie Mon 16-Jan-17 17:33:30

grin

(But all my Siamese have lurrved their bed and their sleep so sleep through the night. I seem to recall that their eye structure likely gives them less efficient night vision than other cats so they're not so night-hunting orientated. (That's a 'likely', it being fairly difficult to give a cat a full and thorough eye examination. wink)

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Jan-17 20:08:41

Asbo sleeps through.

Roughly 10am to 5pm though 😞

Wolfiefan Mon 16-Jan-17 20:12:15

YABU. I know that's not what you asked. Cats don't have owners. They have servants. And Siamese? They have slaves! grin
Pictures! That's the law on the litter tray!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Jan-17 20:28:40

Ooh I've just thought, Ear plugs! I wear them every night or I'd have divorced Dh by now.

I still heard the smoke alarm the night it went off.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Jan-17 20:29:31

Sleep talking cat sounds flipping adorable though.

cozietoesie Mon 16-Jan-17 21:12:04

Butterflies

You need to lift the duvet/sheet and let her go inside the bed. They prefer to lie stretched out beside you in my experience. But under the covers. smile

dnamummy Mon 16-Jan-17 21:50:10

I have 2 Siamese boys, now 14 m. old.

They talk to each other.

However as they like to sleep on either side of me I get sleep chatter in stereo 😺😺

Still, preferable to one snoring exH!

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:52:03

Not a Siamese, but a self appointed health and safety / body guard cat. He sleeps on the bed. Even if I took the hard line and shut him out, I have an old house and the doors have those latches you open with your thumb to undo them. He's 3.5 foot tall on his back legs, he just opens them.

RustyPaperclip Mon 16-Jan-17 21:58:54

Welcome to sharing you life and bed with a Siamese smile our Siamese boy used to sleep in between me and DH with his head on our pillows. Occasionally he would mould his body around my head as if I was wearing a Siamese cat for a hat

RustyPaperclip Mon 16-Jan-17 22:00:07

Oh and Siamese boy had to be tucked in at night not spoiled at all

cozietoesie Mon 16-Jan-17 22:05:12

Siamese like to be under the covers in my experience - unless it's high summer or you have a very very warm house.

It's all to do with filling up their 'love tanks' I think. Communing with their 'person' in heated laziness seems to be just their idea of bliss. Very useful for discipline also - being denied their person being the ultimate enforcement tool. smile

Littlemissindependent Tue 17-Jan-17 02:02:32

Coco has to sleep in the bed with me. On the very rare occasions where she's not in the bed then she will sleep right on top of me. If she decides that's not good enough for her then she will try and dig me out of bed, and considering she's not yet 18 months there's a lot of strength behind those paws! Definitely wouldn't recommend trying to shut them out of the bedroom, chances are you'll be kept awake by the crying and probably have your carpet/door destroyed!

Janey50 Tue 17-Jan-17 02:12:13

Pictures please!

cozietoesie Tue 17-Jan-17 12:11:01

I've found that if you keep them away from you, they regard it rather as punishment. If it has been done for a particular sin, they'll be largely quiet - the odd plaintive squawk - while they brood about their bad behaviour. If on general principle, there will likely be .......some persistence. (eg all Heck will likely break loose.) Siamese, in my experience, have a very clear understanding of justice and injustice. wink)

RustyPaperclip Tue 17-Jan-17 23:21:22

Cozie I think you have perfectly described a Siamese. Such a lovely breed smile

cozietoesie Tue 17-Jan-17 23:35:32

Wonderful cats. smile

RustyPaperclip Tue 17-Jan-17 23:43:19

There is certainly something wonderful and unique about a Siamese. I've only had two but they are the best. I would truly love another

cozietoesie Tue 17-Jan-17 23:49:36

My DBro said to me, last weekend, 'A house isn't a home without a Siamese, is it?'

He was brought up with them. wink

RustyPaperclip Tue 17-Jan-17 23:59:07

'tis true, cozie, our Siamese boy made our home (previous Siamese boy was a pre-DH family cat). I love all cats but Siamese just have something special about them (don't tell the Bengal lying at my feet wink)

VenusSurprising Wed 18-Jan-17 00:51:35

"My" tonkinese, (half Siamese half Burmese) slept on my neck for years.
She licked my chin before she went asleep to check up on me.

If I moved too much she'd sleep between the pillows, all stretched out on her back. And she'd talk to me to get up and feed her, before patting me in the face if I just mumbled at her, and obviously wasn't quick enough to her liking.

She'd also drop toys on me to play fetch in the middle of the night if she was bored of knocking things off the bedside tables.

But mostly she slept, and would put herself to bed about 11pm after the mad gads (+poo).

HaveYouSeenHerLately Fri 20-Jan-17 00:38:40

Yes pictures are required!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now