Talk

Advanced search

Are they eating too much?!

(13 Posts)
FunkinEll Sun 15-Jan-17 22:43:25

Not sure how old my kittens are, RSPCA said 15 weeks but I and other think they are too small for that. One is 900g and the other 1.1kg if that helps- used my kitchen scales and a bowl to measure grin.

Today they have eaten 7 kitten pouches between them. They always have water and dry food (apple paws kitten). When I was buying more food yesterday the woman in the pet shop said they should be eating a pouch a day so now I'm wondering if they are having too much? What will happen if I overfeed them? Is wet better than dry? They much prefer wet food.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 15-Jan-17 22:44:54

Ours had 5 pouches a day as a kit. They grow so fast it's best just to feed on demand like you would with a baby.

Wolfiefan Sun 15-Jan-17 22:49:34

Wet food is generally better as they don't naturally drink a lot so can get UTI on dry food. They may be having a growth spurt! I remember some days our kittens ate loads. Then it settled down.

cozietoesie Sun 15-Jan-17 23:10:14

'A pouch a day'?? shock

Dear Goodness.

cozietoesie Sun 15-Jan-17 23:13:00

PS - if you have accurate 'personal' scales, just get them onto them - either in a box or in your arms - and then reweigh the box or yourself. And subtract. smile

RubbishMantra Mon 16-Jan-17 02:31:29

Kittens eat more than a neutered adult. Little M used to practically inhale his food. He's now not at all food orientated, and is a healthy weight for his (small but muscular) breed.

Their weight sounds about right. Pet shop woman is wrong! Oh, and don't let her sell you any over the counter meds like Bob Martin.

RubbishMantra Mon 16-Jan-17 02:34:10

*...actually, at 15 weeks that seems quite small, weight-wise. Are they up to date with worming?

hollinhurst84 Mon 16-Jan-17 03:20:34

Wet is better than dry. And they're growing! My cat eats a pouch a day but he's fussy and spends his life asleep on me so little energy expending grin

FunkinEll Mon 16-Jan-17 07:19:12

We're off to the vet for worming, flea treatment and a check up today so hopefully we'll get a guess at their actual weights.

They run around a lot so need the energy I suppose.

I'll stick with the current feeding schedule- thanks for the advice.

FunkinEll Mon 16-Jan-17 07:20:01

*Actual age not actual scales

FunkinEll Mon 16-Jan-17 07:20:16

Weights! I blame Monday morning

RubbishMantra Mon 16-Jan-17 18:55:16

Another good dry food for snacking is Orijen. I add warm boiled water to the boys' wet food, to make it soupy.

As well as the tearing about, they literally seem to grow overnight when kittens.

How did you get on at the vet's?

FunkinEll Mon 16-Jan-17 19:22:27

Fine although small kitten is very small and (not sure if you saw my other thread) also a boy so even smaller by growth charts. Both have had flea and worm treatment today. Vet just said to use high quality kitten for for the small one especially.

I'm a bi my worried about him so will keep an eye, his sister is a picture of health in comparison.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now