Talk

Advanced search

Off colour kitten - vet tomorrow - any advice?

(6 Posts)
Littlemissindependent Sun 15-Jan-17 14:17:03

7 weeks ago I homed a very scrawny scrappy little kitten from my local RSPCA. Thought at first I was going to lose her as she seemed quite unwell (despite having supposedly had vet checks at RSPCA) but she perked up and after some pretty major de-worming she's looking much better, eating well, playing and generally thriving... however, this morning she's messed on the floor twice (and previously we'd on my bed twice) and when I've cleared up today there's been a small amount of bright red blood. Obviously I'll get a vet appointment as soon as I can tomorrow but I have to confess to panicking and thinking the worse. She was in such a state when I got her and I KNOW I should have questioned further at the time, but I just wanted to look after her and get her well. Given that it's only been 9 weeks since I had to have my beautiful Willow cat pts I don't know if im just overreacting and assuming the worst, but I can't shake the sense that something's just not right. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

RagingSquirrel Sun 15-Jan-17 14:53:47

Don't feel bad about not asking more questions - when we rehomed (from CPL) I didn't question the vet check either. Why would you?

In previous cats I've had blood in the wee and urinating outside of litter tray has been a sign of a urine infection/bladder issue. It can be treated, but equally can be very serious if not seen in time. I really think you should do everything you can to get her to an emergency vet today especially as she's so tiny.

Hope you can get her sorted.

TheOtherGalen Sun 15-Jan-17 14:57:16

It's a good idea to bring her in to the vet and get her checked out. My cat is prone to constipation and urinary tract infections, and whenever I see blood in her poo or pee, I know it's time to get her checked out. You're right that something's just not right, and I know how alarming and helpless that feels. Hopefully, a quick visit to the vet will sort things out and put your mind at ease!

TheOtherGalen Sun 15-Jan-17 14:58:49

Oh snap, in the time it took me to write a response, RagingSquirrel came along and said it all faster & better, ha!

Littlemissindependent Mon 16-Jan-17 14:54:01

So the vet doesn't know if it's a major case of worms, or giarda. Either way, we have a course of Panacur to see if it helps.
Little bit disappointed to discover that the RSPCA only test at random for FLV, and even more disappointed that they neglected to tell me that she was repeatedly showing signs of recurring worms whilst she was in the RSPCAs care.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Jan-17 17:05:12

I'd be disappointed with that too, someone on here had a foundling kitten survive giardia before Christmas.

I think she caught it off the cat too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now