Talk

Advanced search

Should I be worried?

(18 Posts)
biscuitbadger Fri 13-Jan-17 09:19:30

Our new cat was back and forth to the litter tray this morning - probably 10x in 30 mins. Crouching briefly, nothing coming out, then digging and running off again. In between he was playing with toys and seemed happy enough.

I was all set to take him to the vets after the school run, but now I'm back and he's not been in his tray for the last hour. He seems fine in himself too.

He had done wees and poos overnight. We've only had him a week and his poos have always been quite firm so I'm thinking maybe he's constipated, but I guess also concerned he may have a uti.

I'm going to keep an eye on him this morning, just wondering at what point I should be concerned?

NickMyLipple Fri 13-Jan-17 09:22:20

It's hard when you have a new little one who can't speak! I usually keep an eye on behaviour and if my kitten is constipated, I give kitten soup instead of wet food for a meal or two blush because it has lots of water in it. You can get it at big supermarkets or pets at home.

Wolfiefan Fri 13-Jan-17 09:25:09

What is he fed on? We had an issue with a UTI with boy cat when he was on dried food.

biscuitbadger Fri 13-Jan-17 09:29:31

Wet food. We've left biscuits out too but he's barely touched them.

The first few days he was having super meat tins but didn't eat much at all. We switched to pouches a couple of days ago and he loves them, they do look a lot more moist, lots of jelly, so I think his current food is fine. But maybe he didn't get enough liquid the first few days.

We do put water down too but again I don't think he's touched that.

abbsisspartacus Fri 13-Jan-17 09:30:19

Constipation?

biscuitbadger Fri 13-Jan-17 09:34:26

That's my first guess, esp as he had a change of diet coming here and he has had hard poos.

I guess I just feel a bit helpless suddenly - I don't know him well enough to know what's normal. I don't want to miss the signs if he was actually really ill - I know utis can be really nasty. (And google told me 'fatal within hours' so that obviously helped...)

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 13-Jan-17 13:31:37

Google always terrifies you.

Well, it's constipation or a uti by the sounds of it. Or he really likes digging.

abbsisspartacus Fri 13-Jan-17 17:14:14

Rub a moist cloth across the bottom usually does the trick

thecatneuterer Fri 13-Jan-17 17:59:31

That is always a very worrying sign and normally indicates either cystitis or, even more seriously, crystals in the urine/blocked bladder.

However if he has now done a full wee then I would just keep an eye. If he hasn't done a wee by now, since last night, then I would consider the emergency vet, particularly if he is off his food and definitely if he does that tray thing again.

And unfortnately 'fatal within hours' is certainly possible where blocked bladders are concerned.

biscuitbadger Fri 13-Jan-17 18:31:40

Thanks. He's just been for a proper wee in the last half hour - so first one in 12 hours. It seemed a normal one - made a clump in the litter about the size of my fist. Does that sound ok?

He's eaten about a pouch worth of food. And hasn't pooed since sometime overnight last night.

Generally he seems to be behaving the same as normal, and hasn't done the litter tray thing again. I've been with him all day so would def know if he had.

Will def continue to keep an eye on him, though not planning to stay up with him overnight so really hope he's ok.

thecatneuterer Fri 13-Jan-17 20:19:00

That sounds fine.

abbsisspartacus Fri 13-Jan-17 21:05:41

When my boy car had cystitis he peed in odd places and fused the house getting a shock up his wing wang really can't have helped matters but he survived!

His wee was bloodstained

abbsisspartacus Fri 13-Jan-17 21:06:19

Cat not car bloody phone!

biscuitbadger Fri 13-Jan-17 23:28:56

Ok he's weeing fine, just had another one no problems. And a tiny hard poo... bless him. He's still eating ok so I've added a little water to his wet food, thinking to call the vet tomorrow for a chat if that doesn't improve.

It's like having another child isn't it!

RubbishMantra Sat 14-Jan-17 00:05:55

Yy to adding water to his wet food. I always add a glug of warm boiled water to my 2 boys' wet food. Just to be on the safe side. And they like the "cat food consomme" it produces. They lap up the watery broth, then go back later to gobble the lumps. Bit like Bouillabaisse, but for cats.

abbsisspartacus Sun 15-Jan-17 08:09:22

When you cook a chicken as long as it's not salted keep the juices (not the fat) and give that to your cat to drink it's good for reluctant drinkers as an occasional treat

cozietoesie Sun 15-Jan-17 10:16:23

It sounds like constipation. Remind me - how old is he?

biscuitbadger Sun 15-Jan-17 10:48:03

Hi Cozie , he's about 11 months we think.

We're getting plenty of wees now thank goodness. (Including one on a cushion when the kids had been in the room with him for some time... need to make allowances for him being a bit scared of the littlest one!)

I've not seen him straining to poo but then he's been mostly going at night. He's pooing once or twice a day but they are definitely smaller and firmer than I would expect from a kitty. That's based on the previous cat we had, and the poos I find in my garden from other visitors!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now