Talk

Advanced search

My cat is a lazy eater.

(11 Posts)
ShotsFired Thu 12-Jan-17 13:43:45

If I leave her [wet] food down in the kitchen, she'll have a bit, then go off and sleep somewhere all day and it'll dry out by teatime. Repeat for her evening meal. (She also has biscuits and water available all day)

Yet my highly scientific experiments have shown that if I put the same food near where she has gone to nap, she'll eat it all between snoozes. She just CBA to get up and go to the kitchen!

She doesn't seem any the worse for this, but obviously she is eating less than she should on any days the food is left in the kitchen so it's not ideal.

Any reason to be worried? She's 13 and in otherwise good health as far as I know. She has her annual jabs in a month or two so will get a vet once-over then as well.

Toddlerteaplease Thu 12-Jan-17 14:17:15

If she is in otherwise good health. I'd say she's just got you wrapped round her paw!

cozietoesie Thu 12-Jan-17 14:23:23

I have to take Seniorboy to his food, most of the day. I reckon that he's so comfy snoozing in the warmth that he just plain forgets. grin (Although he has a few years on your girl so can be forgiven a little absent-mindedness, I guess.) He eats his nosh quite the thing when he's presented with it.

Your lass has started the pattern early. wink Clearly, you'll want the vet to give her a proper health check given her age (in particular) - maybe bloods etc and check her sight and so on.

How is her weight holding up?

Wolfiefan Thu 12-Jan-17 14:27:58

She could be sore. Cats often don't show pain very much. She could also be woken but the smell and so decide to eat.

cozietoesie Thu 12-Jan-17 14:30:39

That's true, Wolfie.

Is she showing any other behavioural changes - eg that might suggest some arthritis?

ShotsFired Thu 12-Jan-17 14:34:09

With her penchant for taking flying leaps to the tops of 6' fences and shed, and her Bolt-like sprints round the house, I think she's pretty fit and able.

She was checked over 1 year ago and all fine then, so I am hopeful she's still tip-top - but yes will get her a through MOT when she goes in for her boosters. The lazy food thing has been ongoing for ages, so it's not a sudden change (sorry should have been clearer in OP). Glad I am not the only servant round here though.

I mean, I can understand liking sleeping (who couldn't!), but choosing sleep over food? New one on me grin

cozietoesie Thu 12-Jan-17 14:50:11

Maybe have a read of this?

I know that you'll think of her as young but the reality is that she's no spring chicken any more. Wolfie was right - it's possible that her seeming laziness is actually informed by some aches and pains eg on rising from a warm bed.

Worth keeping an eye on, anyway.

ShotsFired Thu 12-Jan-17 15:35:28

Thanks for the link. Some good tips in there I hadn't' thought of.

We only got her relatively recently, but she's the oldest cat I've ever had. Certainly she is finding it very cosy curled up underneath the radiators upstairs recently so will continue to indulge her by keeping her food nearby, it's no big deal to do.

cozietoesie Thu 12-Jan-17 15:51:15

I've found that my own old boy - who has very severe arthritis - really needs heat. I'm afraid I can't find the ICC link on arthritis but I'd bear that possibility - and general ageing - in mind.

Good luck to you both. smile

cozietoesie Thu 12-Jan-17 15:55:37

Here is a separate article on it. It's the stats on prevalence that are really worth rembering.

ShotsFired Thu 12-Jan-17 16:03:23

Thank you Cozie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now