Talk

Advanced search

Cone of shame

(9 Posts)
NoMoreAngstPls Wed 11-Jan-17 20:13:24

My cat is HATING having the collar on, following a visit to the vet yesterday morning. She has hardly eaten since (which is making it hard to get her to take the antibiotics), and I'm not sure she's drunk much ( has only used the litter tray once!).

The collar is because she has a cut in her leg that won't heal. Vet said to try to keep it on, and keep her in, to give the best chance of healing. Plus she has antibiotics (which its a nightmare to get her to have).

Any advice?

DodoRevival Wed 11-Jan-17 20:17:21

Was she licking it before? Mine didn't lick his wound so I took the cone of shame off when I was home and could watch him. Went it back on when I was out - until he became a pro at removing it.

LessThanJacob Wed 11-Jan-17 20:19:38

What about one of these instead?

https://www.biovea.net/uk/mobile/productdetail.aspx?PID=4146&TI=GGLUKR&C=N&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzNfDBRD2xKrO4pSnnOkBEiQAbzzeQW0jj_il4HhEPL6xD2vYhNdaAfkMRFH3Swcbwg9iXqfoaAvvX8P8HAQ

NoMoreAngstPls Wed 11-Jan-17 20:21:13

Yes she was. Had made the area around it quite bald.
I'm in work FT so difficult to watch her.
I think worse than the collar, is that she has to stay in. She spends a lot of time outside, and is very independent, so staying in is a massive trauma for her.

DodoRevival Wed 11-Jan-17 21:54:36

That's the same as mine- he never uses the litter tray took him 36 hours of holding before he finally did.

My cat relaxed about the collar after 24 hours. I work too so it wasn't like he was without it for long period and I kept it on for the first two nights and day (he came home late in the day) If she licking it'll have to stay I think I'm sorry to say

DodoRevival Wed 11-Jan-17 21:55:53

I'll look for my post on the CoS as someone linked a body stocking thing that might be better.

NoMoreAngstPls Wed 11-Jan-17 22:51:06

Thanks. I'm not sure whether to take it off her when we are around to watch her. But I almost think that's more cruel, as she would be so gutted when we put it on again. Also I'm scared to take it off for a short while and let her out, cos she'd probably disappear for 12 hours!

DodoRevival Thu 12-Jan-17 00:02:00

This was what was suggested

www.suitical.com

The leg ones seem to be aimed at dogs though

Toddlerteaplease Thu 12-Jan-17 12:15:20

If it's a front leg what about a baby shirt or babygro? My girl had a collar on after nose surgery and it really stressed her out so I took it off and she was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now