Talk

Advanced search

My cat smells like a dog...

(11 Posts)
fourcorneredcircle Wed 11-Jan-17 13:39:11

Ok, so I know that if a cat smells certain ways it's best to take to the vet. But I always assumed that the smell would be either an unpleasant smell or a sweet smell or even (horrible thought) like decay.

My boy cat has suddenly started smelling like a wet dog. He is predominantly indoor - in winter he literally goes out for the loo for ten mins AM although the cat flap is unlocked all day - In summer he'll be out for hours at a time.

He hasn't come in wet at all the last few days (I've been off sick) and we've not changed his diet. He's six years old and he's eating/drinking like normal. The vet saw him just before Christmas for yearly vaccines and checked his mouth/teeth with no signs of issues.

I gave him a good groom yesterday but that doesn't seem to have helped. Is it just that he's too lazy to groom properly at the moment or should I be worried?

Thanks.

cozietoesie Wed 11-Jan-17 13:58:15

I assume he's neutered?

fourcorneredcircle Wed 11-Jan-17 13:59:44

Yup, he is.

cozietoesie Wed 11-Jan-17 14:14:27

Have you noticed any other cats in the area?

(Big mean toms sometimes 'make mistakes' if there are no receptive females available.)

fourcorneredcircle Wed 11-Jan-17 14:19:09

Lots of other cats around, very possible!

Anything I should do? I've never bathed a cat... seems an odd idea!

cozietoesie Wed 11-Jan-17 14:30:16

Is his cat flap a microchip one? (If not, you can't always be certain who is 'visiting' while you're out of the house - or asleep.)

fourcorneredcircle Wed 11-Jan-17 14:33:28

Yes, a micro chip one. Girl cat uses it too - similar usage patterns to him.

I wold say I see two other cats fairly regularly, but I'm sure there are others.

cozietoesie Wed 11-Jan-17 14:42:02

Maybe he's found a really smelly 'something' or place to go then. Or maybe he doesn't mind having some tom 'making a mistake' with him. wink I'd see how it goes for a few days - assuming it's not so rank that you can't be in the same house as him. (Also assuming he's otherwise fine eg eating/drinking/evacuating normally and generally bright eyed and bushy tailed.)

mistermagpie Wed 11-Jan-17 14:44:47

My cats had ear mites and smelled at bit 'animaly' at the same time, Im not sure how/if the two were connected but when I treated the mites the smell went away. Worth a look in his ears?

cozietoesie Wed 11-Jan-17 14:49:42

Fair point. smile

fourcorneredcircle Wed 11-Jan-17 14:50:03

Thanks both.

Very possible he likes the attention... he's a mysterious beast at the best of times ;)

I'll have a look in his ears too. I'll wait until he wakes up though, I value the skin on my hands!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now