Talk

Advanced search

Apparently cats have no facial expressions

(43 Posts)
Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 10:18:21

My friend who is a late vocation to cat parenting thinks that cats have no facial expressions and that we are trying to humanise them. Practically chocked on my tea when he said that! --His cats have the most expressive faces I've ever seen. With a very good murder look.--hmm

RubbishMantra Mon 09-Jan-17 12:51:35

Oh mine certainly do. I sometimes wake up to MCat staring at me. It's as if he's deciding a) am I alive and b) how long the correct etiquette should be before he begins to eat me.

Little M, I can tell by his face if he's planning mischief. And because of his breed, he has little frown lines on his forehead.

Ooh, and when their whiskers are standing proud, they're feeling inquisitive. And the slow blink, feeling relaxed, and chilled.

And what about Hollinhursts' Ollie-cats' Ribbon Face? grin That's an expression, if ever I saw one.

cozietoesie Mon 09-Jan-17 12:58:59

You generally have to use everything about a cat to judge - i.e. eyes, voice, posture etc etc.

But then the same is largely true of humans? smile

RubbishMantra Mon 09-Jan-17 13:00:59

Oh, and I forgot, when I first met LM as a 5 week old kitten, he put his little paws on my chest, so he was eye to eye with me. He gave me a very long, soul searching look, decided I'd do as a slave and curled up under my chin and fell asleep.

He still does that look now, with people he's not met before. If he likes them, (which is practically everyone he meets) they get presented with a stick from the garden, or a drinking straw.

hollinhurst84 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:04:29

Rubbish grin
Or this one?

dingit Mon 09-Jan-17 13:06:45

Well this is mine when we started taking down her Xmas tree

MusterTheRohirim Mon 09-Jan-17 13:06:54

Mine do a very good 'you're annoying me, I'm tolerating it because you feed me' grin

TrustySnail Mon 09-Jan-17 13:07:50

What nonsense!

Their facial expressions might not correspond with the equivalent human way of expressing a particular mood, but they certainly have a very wide range of them.

I expect your friend will realise this when he gets more used to his new feline companions grin.

ChipInTheSugar Mon 09-Jan-17 13:08:28

dingit that is hilarious grin

flumpybear Mon 09-Jan-17 13:09:25

I've heard this too but don't believe it!! Perhaps they don't have the same muscle control as us in their faces but my cats look at me and I know what they're thinking!! Murder, get that Child off me, food NOW!, get your fucking arse out of bed and let me out ... you know, the usual stuff!

Wolfiefan Mon 09-Jan-17 13:09:27

Tell me this face isn't saying:"FUCK RIGHT OFF! MY BED!!"

Nishky Mon 09-Jan-17 13:09:45

Oh dingit you cruel buggers, how COULD you?

DesolateWaist Mon 09-Jan-17 13:13:20

This was her face when I tried to reach the chocolates without disturbing her.

RogueStar01 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:18:26

your friend clearly doesn't understand cat body language - tell him to study harder. FWIW, I'm sure one of my cats, if tested, is also a cat genius. My cats have lots of faces/postures. Including a 'mum, get that toddler off me' look.

DubiousCredentials Mon 09-Jan-17 13:20:36

I think most cats can easily manage the following basic facial expressions;

Fuck off
Wtf
Pet me NOW
Evil killer
Fun time Frankie

steppemum Mon 09-Jan-17 13:22:47

steppecat's favourite 3 are:

I am stupid, very stupid and I don't know what is happening right now so I will just sit here very still with eyes wide open until I work it out. (he does this a lot. Yes he is very stupid)

GO AWAY I did not want to be disturbed

Ahhh - you've come to tickle my tummy yawn/purr etc

anythign else is a variation of those 3. Even his hungry face is a variation of his stupid face, because he frequently forgets he has been fed.

F1ipFlopFrus Mon 09-Jan-17 13:33:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cozietoesie Mon 09-Jan-17 13:35:18

Oh Dear. Poor steppecat doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the box. sad

clairethewitch70 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:39:16

What about this face?

cozietoesie Mon 09-Jan-17 13:45:01

Well I frequently have the same thoughts about sheep! grin

thatdearoctopus Mon 09-Jan-17 13:54:12

Or what about this?

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 14:07:54

My cats are not the sharpest but have plenty of expressions. His two have perfected the 'I'm going to kill you in your sleep' look. And the other one has the smuggest expression I have ever seen on a cat. I think he just doesn't like to acknowledge that he's become a fully paid up crazy cat man. And won't admit he's besotted with them. Though he clearly is!

hollinhurst84 Mon 09-Jan-17 14:13:21

Ollie also has his famed "I love my human" expression hmm

ipswichwitch Mon 09-Jan-17 14:20:47

Our old cat used to have the best "you utter fuckwit" expression whenever she looked at our other, rather dim and stupid cat. Every time he did something silly like walking until he fell off the table, she'd roll her eyes and I swear I heard her sigh grin

RubbishMantra Mon 09-Jan-17 14:55:13

I forgot, Little M makes a "Pffft" noise when perplexed/slightly annoyed. I swear he shakes his head in an exasperated manner at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now