Talk

Advanced search

'Itchy' cat - any ideas?

(10 Posts)
SybilsLeaves Mon 09-Jan-17 07:02:27

I adopted my fourth cat with 'ishoos' just over 2 years ago - just can't go for the easy ones wink at the time the vet thought he had IBD as he had loose stools, so told me to use prescription diet.

Being an ex street cat, SybilCat ate v expensive prescription diet and then went in all the neighbours' houses to eat their Whiskas hmm. Ended up transitioning him to Felix and his stools seemed fine.

However - he's always been quite 'itchy'; lots of scratching, grooming and sometimes pulling out fur. Loves nothing better than a vigorous scratch from me. Definitely not fleas, although Stronghold scabs him, which makes me think he has sensitive skin?

The fur pulling put us on a track of regular steroid injections, which did seem to help, but I feel uncomfortable as an ongoing treatment. Have changed litter from wood to clay to Catsan - no difference. Have forked out a fortune on James Wellbeloved, no difference, and Natures Best, which neither he nor brother will eat, necessitating lots of sad eye action and a casual trot over to the neighbours who have an open access cat flap. Any ideas on what I can do from here?

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 09:52:07

Piriton, my parents cat has a skin issue and the vet gives him steroids. But when he came to the rescue he came with a bottle of piriton for 'a flea allergy' I keep telling them to try that instead of steroids

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 09-Jan-17 10:15:26

Investigations for allergies would be the next step. Dust mite allergies are not uncommon in cats.

SybilsLeaves Mon 09-Jan-17 13:04:12

Thanks both - can I buy Piriton over the counter for cats?! And with a dust mite allergy, how would one manage that, if that's what it is? confused I'll ask the vet re allergy testing and try Piriton in the meantime...

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 14:12:47

The lady who owns the rescue I got mine from says you can use human piriton. But it's only a tiny dose. Thinkshe sais 1/4 of a tablet but not sure.

hollinhurst84 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:16:52

You can use human piriton smile
I actually give Ollie cetirizine, 5mg crushed in food

hugoagogo Thu 12-Jan-17 19:06:14

Ducking piriton? Really? I have been struggling with a super licky cat for the last couple of years, could it be that simple?

SybilsLeaves Fri 13-Jan-17 04:44:21

I'm going to give it a whirl and report back!

BigcatLittlecat Fri 13-Jan-17 05:23:56

Wow piriton! We have a cat like this. How much of the tablet do you give them?

SybilsLeaves Fri 27-Jan-17 20:11:54

Ugh, no joy sad can't absolutely swear he ingested the last couple of days' pills crushed in food, but I wrapped him in a blanket yesterday and today and shoved half a pill down him. Still yanking huge chunks of fur out today. Should it be quick acting? I'm going to have to cave and go back to steroids for him soon, as I can't bear the slightly haunted look in his eye!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now