Talk

Advanced search

Any idea how to groom a 'difficult' Cat.

(23 Posts)
Toddlerteaplease Sun 08-Jan-17 23:12:34

A friend of mine has the most beautiful Persian exotic chinchilla. (Rescue) she's quite standoffish but will go to him for fuss. She's short haired but has a thick coat, and has got a large Matt on her back. She will not allow anyone to groom her. When I tried she turned into a hissing spitting bundle of claws and teeth. And I have a hole in my finger, Where she bit me. It looks very uncomfortable for her. The groomer who did my girls won't cover his area and struggling to find another one who covers his area. He's reluctant to take her to the vets as she also freaks getting her in the basket. Any ideas anyone? I've never seen a cat behave like that. We suspect something very bad has happened in the past.

cozietoesie Sun 08-Jan-17 23:22:54

The trouble is that if she has a serious mat, it might be quite painful to have it touched, even gently. I'd vet her, I think, and have it shaved under sedation. (She could get a proper vet check at the same time.)

FatOldBag Sun 08-Jan-17 23:24:15

Oh sooo cute! I didn't realise short haired cats got matts too. I think she's going to have to travel to a groomer who's experienced with resistant cats though. or just give him to me, squeeee

cozietoesie Sun 08-Jan-17 23:24:37

Sorry - that should say 'consider her for a shave under sedation'. The vet might not need to go that far.

MsMims Mon 09-Jan-17 00:34:33

I'd take her to the vets, even if it meant a stressful time getting her in the carrier. Matts can really pull at the skin, they are uncomfortable/ hurt and cause skin irritation.

One of our cats is totally unable to handle human contact for too long without lashing out viciously. Not her fault at all - we know she was abused by previous owners as we rescued her ourselves. But at the vets because she is so out of her comfort zone they are able to handle her and do things like trim her nails that she'd never tolerate at home. The unfamiliar/ scary environment stuns her.

Btw, keep an eye on your finger. Cat bites often need antibiotics.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 02:33:52

I agree It hadn't occurred that it might be sore to touch possibly more so than on a long hair. I think it's going to have to be a vet job. The nurses do my girls if I have one I can't deal with. I think once she got to the vet she was ok and my friend was very happy with how she treated her. Will suggest that he just takes her.

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 09-Jan-17 06:17:44

My old girl used to get matted towards the end as she was too decrepit to groom properly. She hated brushing but would allow electric clippers for some reason, so I just shaved them off. The result wasn't pretty but it did the job. I assume the buzz of the clippers was at a non- threatening frequency. Might be worth borrowing some to try with this cat, but she may hate that too, of course!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 09-Jan-17 06:58:46

It's a job for the vets. She should be a much happier cat after its out.

All our Persians had mats at some point, despite being groomed. The combs and brushes we had years ago weren't much cop so they really didn't like it.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 09:14:35

Fluffy. Yes mine get knots occasionally but I can usually deal with them. And if I can't the vet nurses do them. This cat is beyond me though!

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 17:42:10

The Matt has been removed. Apparently the slave still has all his fingers, and madam is now sulking in the chapel. I would say she's plotting murder but apparently since cats don't have facial expressions that can't be true.gringrin

PolterGoose Mon 09-Jan-17 17:48:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cozietoesie Mon 09-Jan-17 17:54:16

Good news.

Who was it that risked life and limb? grin

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 09-Jan-17 17:56:53

I would say that cat definitely has an expression and it's terrifying!

MycatsaPirate Mon 09-Jan-17 17:58:34

Gosh very grumpy looking but utterly gorgeous!!

Glad the matt has been removed. Must have been very sore. I'd have suggested a pile of dreamies/ham/chicken and work on her very fast wearing thick gloves

cozietoesie Mon 09-Jan-17 18:17:20

You see - I look at that face and - to me - it suggests deep misery.

(Carefully calculated, I'd judge. wink)

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:35:02

When he goes back in the crucifixes will be upside down & a slaughtered chicken left on the altar.

SecretWitch Mon 09-Jan-17 18:39:43

Ohhh, she is one angry Miss! Such a gorgeous cat though. My little black cat gets a look of absolute fury on his sweet face when we give him his medication.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 19:02:57

Fluffy, that is a hilarious thought. Her slave managed to do it with the connivance of his secretary who put a tea towel over her face. She really is the most stunning cat I've ever seen. You could drown in her huge jewel like eyes. But my goodness, I've never met such 'cattitude'. I feel almost as responsible for her and her daughter because I persuaded him to adopt them.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 19:05:10

Polter. He's had her nine months and only once has ever managed to groom her. She is having none of it! Her daughter on the other hand loves a good brushing.

GraciesMansion Mon 09-Jan-17 19:10:09

She's lovely. We have two exotic Persians and they are gorgeous, sociable cats generally. They do need gentle brushing every day though to get them used to it.

PolterGoose Mon 09-Jan-17 19:35:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 09-Jan-17 20:12:22

I might try that with my two. Her daughter would allow it. Madam chinchilla would certainly not allow it!

hollinhurst84 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:14:31

That face! gringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now