Talk

Advanced search

Cat going out for the first time, advice please?

(6 Posts)
Getnakedorgohome Sat 07-Jan-17 13:10:58

We've had our lovely rescue girl for 4 weeks today and she's been inside the whole time. She wants to go out though, she sits and looks out the windows and has made a couple runs for the door when it's opened.

So, tomorrow we are home most of the day. I'm planning on letting her out in the morning, but how do I know she'll come back?? I'm so nervous. She's settled in well, snuggles up to dd and me and is generally very loving. What do I do! (Never had a cat before smile )

PenguinRoar Sat 07-Jan-17 13:20:57

I pottered about in the garden with mine, so they had someone with them. Just for a short time initially, building up to leaving back door open for them to come and go.

They never went out of the garden - both had been strays and they loved the security of a nice warm house with food!

Wolfiefan Sat 07-Jan-17 13:24:40

Morning.
Hungry.
Take toys or treats with you to start with.

Ilovecaindingle Sat 07-Jan-17 13:26:57

Make sure she knows her name!
A take her into the garden when she hasn't been fed!!
I have some fab videos of my two boys on there first adventure out - they both sat on my sons scooters and looked like they were really 'playing out'!!

Getnakedorgohome Sat 07-Jan-17 13:52:10

She's been answering to 'kitty' in the house. I was planning on taking up her biscuits when I go to bed as she seems to scoff them all over night. Then we'll go out and see what happens! Thanks all smile

Botanicbaby Sat 07-Jan-17 14:10:22

Ooh it's nerve wracking isn't it!

Def agree with others, don't let her out on a full tummy. Don't feed breakfast first. Does she come running if she hears bag of treats being opened? That helps bring them in I find.

Also she may just pop out quickly then be straight back in again. Then want out again. Repeat. Cats do like a butler service grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now