Talk

Advanced search

Overgrooming

(9 Posts)
Jetcatisback Wed 04-Jan-17 21:47:38

My gorgeous boy who came home from the rescue a couple of month ago is developing a serious overgrooming habit, and I'm not too sure what to do for the best.

The staff at the rescue centre said that he did overgroom a bit there - mainly on his stomach so had a slight bald patch. We brought him home and introduced him very slowly to his new surroundings, people etc and for a while his fur started growing back. However, this past week it's become really noticeable that his hind leg is also losing fur as he is constantly grooming. There's nothing new for him to deal with, no change of food etc and he still comes to us for cuddles and purrs confused

As a novice cat owner I'm a bit clueless - should I take him to the vet for a check up - although he did get a full check just prior to Xmas for his vaccination and got the all clear. I don't know what's worse, thinking there's a physical cause or that he's so very stressed sad

MycatsaPirate Wed 04-Jan-17 21:51:46

One of my girls has been overgrooming to the point that she's breaking the skin. I took her to the vet yesterday and she had a steroid injection. She really wasn't very pleased! But hopefully it will allow her skint to heal on her back and chin where she's been scratching. No fleas detected at all.

Vet said it could be stress, fleas, skin irritation or maybe just habit.

She suggested a feliway spray/plug in and I've also got some catnip balls which really relax them as they just roll about on them dribbling.

Keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't have fleas and check his skin to see if it's broken or not. I'd look at speaking to the vet in a week or so if he doesn't react to Feliway.

MycatsaPirate Wed 04-Jan-17 21:52:58

Oh and somewhere for him to hide to feel safe. That's really important so if he has a blanket he likes then tuck it into a box for him to hide in and sleep.

Any pets or young kids in the house?

Autumnchill Wed 04-Jan-17 21:53:57

Nell has done this for 14 years. She had to have an injection recently as her skin was in an awful state. It calmed down really quickly. I haven't found the plug ins any use, she just likes to groom!

Jetcatisback Wed 04-Jan-17 21:57:33

Thanks MyCat, we have DD2 who is 9 and adores him and frequently wants to stroke him, but as he usually goes to sleep on her bed with her (totally his choice!) I think he does like her smile

No broken skin, and no signs of fleas. I've read about the feliway so will maybe give that a try. We are getting new carpets fitted tomorrow though so I'm thinking I'll maybe shut him in downstairs out of the way - he's an indoor cat.

Jetcatisback Wed 04-Jan-17 21:59:24

Thanks Autumn, glad Nell is recovering smile

Are the injections expensive, and/or they covered by insurance? £65 excess here so just wondering if it's worth claiming for?

MycatsaPirate Wed 04-Jan-17 22:12:42

It cost me £52 for an exam and steroid injection yesterday. It's not expensive and not worth claiming for. Also as long as the skin is healthy and not broken I wouldn't worry too much.

Glad to hear he is sleeping on dc bed. They know how to pick the warmest comfiest places grin

Jetcatisback Wed 04-Jan-17 22:18:25

Thanks again Mycat, I put a little money aside when we brought him home to pay for stuff like this, so will keep that in mind if the feliway doesn't work.

And oh yes, he knows how to pick his spot - this is the usual sight in her room on a morning, he likes to sleep on her feet so she keeps moving them up out of his way, except all that happens is that she ends up squished at the top half of the bed while dude stretches out grin

RubbishMantra Thu 05-Jan-17 08:00:04

Exactly what my B&W boy does, Jet. Then yowls angrily at my feet if I dare to move them.

It could well be that the disruption of Christmas has stressed him - extra guests, different objects in the house.

As mentioned upthread, give a Feliway diffuser a go. And perhaps buy some Zylkene, (can be bought online, no prescription needed). It's like valium for cats, but not addictive, as it's derived from milk proteins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now