Talk

Advanced search

Moderate renal failure

(6 Posts)
Kreeshsheesh Tue 03-Jan-17 16:06:25

My 18 year old cat has been diagnosed with this condition and we've been treating her as directed by our vet. One of the symptoms that she presented with was excessive water consumption. The vet gave her a steroid injection and we've been giving her the prescribed meds daily, yet she's still drinking more than normal. Otherwise she's eating fine and sleeping! (Her usual activities!) Does anyone have experience of this condition in their cat? Should she have reduced her water intake by now or is this a symptom which will continue? She's been having medicine for the past week only. She goes back to the vet in 3 weeks for another steroid jag. Many thanks in advance!

Kreeshsheesh Tue 03-Jan-17 22:53:01

Anyone? smile

isadorable Tue 03-Jan-17 23:23:00

It is normal that she'll drink a lot now. Make sure she has access to fresh water.

GRW Wed 04-Jan-17 07:18:26

My 19 year old has renal failure and hyperthyroidism and is on tablets for both, but has survived for much longer than I thought she would. She is thin and does drink a lot of water, but eats quite well. Her last blood test showed her kidney function had improved since she started Fortecor tablets to reduce protein in her urine. If your cat is eating well and is happy I think it's a good sign.

Kreeshsheesh Wed 04-Jan-17 07:29:20

Thank you for the replies. That is reassuring.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 04-Jan-17 08:00:45

Her water intake is unlikely to fall as kidney failure is irreversible. We can slow the speed of further damage and improve the well being of the cat with meds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now