Talk

Advanced search

Think my cat is missing. What to do when?

(15 Posts)
Alakazam7 Tue 03-Jan-17 12:32:57

Hi my 1 year old boy went out at 8 this morning as usual and hasn't come back. He always comes back within the hour or two to have his treats.
Hasn't appeared all morning and no sign around the garden. I have been out calling him and shaking dreamies. No response. This is the first time he has done this and I don't know what to do when.
I have a meeting to go to from 1-3 this afternoon so can't do anything until then but I'm aware it'll be dark soon after that so want to make best use of the time I have.
(I won't be able to reply straight away either because of this)
Any advice please what to do first, how long to leave it before ringing vets and rescue centre etc. I'm in pieces over it cos he's lovely and great company for me.
We did have cuddles this morning and he ate perfectly normally so not ill as far as I can tell.
I'm sure (as usual on here) there will be someone with advice- you've been very helpful before.

issynoho Tue 03-Jan-17 12:35:17

Go to your neighbours and ask them to check sheds and garages. Listen for miaowing while you walk around your street.
Try not to worry - at 1 he could be finding his hunting instinct or beginning to broaden his territory.

Alakazam7 Tue 03-Jan-17 12:37:59

Thanks for the quick reply. Will try that this afternoon. I'm only worried cos it's so unusual for him.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 03-Jan-17 12:42:50

If he's not back before it's dark it's worth going out with a torch as the light reflects in their eyes.

Fingers crossed he's home soon flowers

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 03-Jan-17 13:12:05

Have a look on the website catchat, they have a long list of ideas to try.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 03-Jan-17 13:21:14

Here http://www.catchat.org/felineforum/

issynoho Tue 03-Jan-17 13:35:44

When this has happened to us I am always reminded that dogs have owners while cats have staff.

For the record, one cat came back after 3 nights (from neighbour's shed) and one came back after 6 months!

Hoping for good news soon.

Alakazam7 Tue 03-Jan-17 15:12:05

He's back! just called him for about the 100 time and he answered me. Was in a neighbours garden. So glad to see him, trying not to be cross that he is acting like nothing has happened! I will keep your advice for if (when) there is a next time. Thank you for helping with info and support

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 03-Jan-17 15:31:02

Yay! Excellent news. Ours has not come home after 4 weeks so I understand how awful it is.

Alakazam7 Tue 03-Jan-17 16:23:09

Oh I'm sorry to hear that, it really is horrible isn't it. Hope yours returns to you soon

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 03-Jan-17 18:52:32

Thank you. We have just adopted 2 cats so if she ever does come home we'll have 3!!! The two new ones have really helped to fill the cat shaped hole.

issynoho Tue 03-Jan-17 21:31:49

Great news Alakazam!
Fingers crossed for you Posie. Our cat who was gone for 6 months was found less than a mile away as the crow flies but in a direction we didn't think to look. He had obviously been finding food somehow and was fine.

PosiePootlePerkins Tue 03-Jan-17 21:49:20

Wow 6 months issynoho that's amazing! I bet you couldn't believe it when you got him back.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 03-Jan-17 22:00:58

One of my indoor cats got out yesterday unbeknownst to me and I went out and didn't realise till I got home 6 hours later. Was frantic but found her hiding behind the neighbours bins. The 45 min I spent looking for her was awful. Still feel quite shaken by it.

issynoho Wed 04-Jan-17 16:48:29

Posie - we were stunned. It was before chipping was popular but he had on a collar with our number on it. I'd been on a night out and DP collected me and just said 'there's someone at home who wants to see you'. I remember sobbing and laughing so much I scared the poor cat grin.
But I still worry every time one of our current cats is late home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now