Talk

Advanced search

Flea Allergy

(12 Posts)
MissHemsworth Mon 02-Jan-17 23:59:58

My poor little kitty has a terrible flea allergy, she is constantly scratch scratch scratching & is scabby in her 'itchy spots'. She has regular flea treatments & on our last visit to the vets the vet did confirm she has no trace of fleas/flea dirt on her so the treatments are working. She has a fairly regular steroid & hormone injection to help with the itching but the last few times it has only worked for a week or so. It gets her down & she is like a different cat after the injection - much happier! So I'm on here to see if anyone can recommend an alternative to the injection that i can administer myself - TIA.

MissHemsworth Tue 03-Jan-17 00:01:52

Can I just add we treat our other cat too & spray flea spray around the house etc. So god knows how these little critters are still lurking about angry

LivingInMidnight Tue 03-Jan-17 11:08:23

Also interested in this for my scabby boy. He's had some skin and coat capsules from the vet before. Think it was omega stuff. I've just seen they sell some on simply supplements so I've ordered them to see if it helps.

dementedma Tue 03-Jan-17 11:13:26

mine is the same. very scabby round the spine and base of his tail.
I am giving him fish oil supplements. His coat is lovely but his skin manky

LivingInMidnight Tue 03-Jan-17 12:02:14

Yes, my cat's coat is fine too. It wasn't when we first got him, he'd lost half his fur after a proper flea infestation while he was a stray. Just a bit scabby again now.

MissHemsworth Tue 03-Jan-17 22:17:47

Yes my girl is the same she is very scabby & sensitive at the base of her tail. What are the names of the supplements you are both using? I'm willing to try anything as you can tell she's uncomfortable. Does it affect both your cats too?

LivingInMidnight Wed 04-Jan-17 11:43:37

Well the ones I ordered arrived.. and they're tablets. That's going to be a problem. I'm going to get vetiq advanced formula skin and coat food, which is a paste. The vet gave him capsules to break and put in his food but the shelter didn't tell us the name.

Wolfiefan Wed 04-Jan-17 11:45:21

What flea treatment are you using? Our old girl had a flea allergy but as long as we treated her every month she was ok.

LivingInMidnight Wed 04-Jan-17 12:40:45

Advocate/prinovox (same thing, different manufacturers). He's treated every month.

MissHemsworth Thu 05-Jan-17 19:51:02

Ok thank you I will look into skin/coat supplements. I rotate the treatments, atm using Broadline but think the effectiveness is starting to wear off so will look to use something else (that isn't frontline or the ones beginning with 'A' can't remember!) maybe stronghold as heard it is meant to be good. Unfortunately she is so sensitive to flea saliva that it only takes one bite (where ever that may happen!) for her to start itching.

LivingInMidnight Thu 05-Jan-17 20:35:28

I think broadline uses the same flea stuff as frontline so it might be worth trying something else. My boy has just gone over 4kg so he's on the bigger dose of prinovox now, hopefully that will help him.

MissHemsworth Thu 05-Jan-17 22:47:53

Thanks Living that's good to know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now