Talk

Advanced search

Bloody cats as bad as kids sometimes

(12 Posts)
Allergictoironing Mon 02-Jan-17 14:12:57

It's like having a pair of teenaged boys in the house when the TV and all the computers are out of action. They sleep for a bit, then wake up & eat, then wander around for a bit. If I sit at the PC in the study, they come up behind me and alternately cry and give The Stare that drills through my back.

So I give up doing what I'm doing, and go into the living room to play with them. But are they interested in playing? Are they hell! I may get a few desultory swipes at a favourite toy then they return to wandering about & sleeping however hard I try to engage them. This is occasionally interspersed by them having a fight (I THINK it's play fighting) then eat a bit more before going back to sleep.

Great I think, I can go on the PC but no, after 5 minutes one or the other comes over and makes pitiful noises until I go back into the living room. Whereupon they promptly wander off to sleep again, often in the upstairs hall so nowhere near me - until I dare to go back to the PC.

I dearly love my kitties & couldn't bear to be without them, I just wish I knew what they are after!

Shriek Mon 02-Jan-17 14:42:20

Complete and utter dominion! Nothing less will do.
If sitting you are fair game. Just wondering tho...do they ever get involved in toys/antics?

There should be something that can diatract them. Im sure there'll be somerhing out there that will work

We have a wide variety of toy types from the basics of cardboard boxes and balled tin-foil and pipe-cleaners to balls with bells and dangley thingsto a ball track . This will help but still not resolve completely, especially in winter when less interested in outdoors. I get stared at, stalked, and walked across as soon as on laptop (keyboard for which is perfect place to sleep it seems!)

Allergictoironing Mon 02-Jan-17 14:58:02

They are ex-ferals, so indoor only - rescue said indoor home only as otherwise they are likely to go feral again if they go out as they were adult when they were rescued.

They have various favourite toys they play with, some on their own (e.g. trapped balls to roll round in their container, foil balls to bat, favourite toy mice to kill with & without catnip) & some I do with them (ribbons, giant soft mouse on elastic which is also used solo, "Da Bird" which is like the flying frenzy). Cuddles/lap time aren't an option for them yet, though they do occasionally want stroking; they have certain places they lie in if they are up for fuss (sofa), which they aren't using today (boycat in his favourite cave, Girlcat in her igloo).

They finally seem to have settled into their afternoon nap, which means I don't get stared at all the time - those stares go right through me and are clearly designed to say "BAD human slave, read my mind & give me what I want NOW".

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:52:52

Found ours on the ensuite window ledge today. Luckily he miaows loudly when he's doing something I'd rather he didn't & he reversed into the house when Dh caught him instead of jumping.

Could have killed him.

Papergirl1968 Mon 02-Jan-17 17:58:43

My boy was very restless for most of the day - wanted food, then wanted to go out, then come in, then go upstairs, then go downstairs, then wander round the en suite and sit on the en suite windowsill (indoors) which he has never done before. Wanted a fuss then tail began twitching so I left him to it and he finally went to sleep on dd's bed. I'm not sure if he was bored, fed up with the cold weather, or what!

Toddlerteaplease Mon 02-Jan-17 18:32:52

One of mine has just given me heart failure by escaping out the front door this morning. Something she doesn't tend to do. Didn't realise she was out. (She's an indoor cat) after frantically searching for her my neighbour said he'd see a black cat and she was hiding behind his bins. I think I've aged by 30 years!

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 02-Jan-17 18:56:10

Oh no! I bet she was hiding and didn't know what to do outside.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 02-Jan-17 19:11:54

Yes. I think so. I was so relived I nearly cried. Hugged her very tightly and she allowed it so she must have been scared. And cold.

LivingInMidnight Mon 02-Jan-17 19:33:41

Ping pong balls and bouncy balls. The noise might drive you insane though, and you'd have to check the balls were ok (no bits coming off). That's what I do with my ex-feral when I need her to entertain herself for a bit. She's lost 7 or 8 ping pong balls in the house somehow. She's got a catit circuit thing too and I leave toys and pencils in weird places that I know will bother her and she'll have to spend time moving them to somewhere else. She's allowed out though thank god!

RubbishMantra Mon 02-Jan-17 20:50:39

My 2 have a stash of about 20 of those cheap (less than a £) realistic looking mice that squeak when you squeeze them. I have literally no idea what they've done with them, and various odd socks.

The expensive mouse that has a realistic squeak when touched is studiously ignored.

The youngest, Little M (not quite 3 yet) has to do several patrols with a paw extended, to push everything onto the floor. To the extent I've had to Blu-Tak precious objects down. If an object is on the floor already, he uses his head, to knock it over, like a little bull. He sleeps with me, but only wants to get into bed once I'm asleep. Cue standing on my face with freezing little paws.

MCat sleeps on my feet, and if I dare move them, there is much yowling and hissing at the feet.

LivingInMidnight Tue 03-Jan-17 12:07:49

Ahaha one day you're going to move a cupboard and find a huge stash of toy mice! I just managed to find a ping pong ball under a cupboard, while trying (and failing) to find another ball. There's some sort of ball vortex under there...

RubbishMantra Tue 03-Jan-17 19:21:58

I've come to the conclusion that we must live above a worm-hole into another dimension, that uses toy mice and socks as fuel, Living.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now