Talk

Advanced search

Cats moving for holiday???

(8 Posts)
heidiwine Sun 01-Jan-17 23:38:39

My DSDs live nearby. They have a cat. Their mum is away for 10 days. DSDs are with us. They are also 'looking after' the cat.
This means going round at 9:30am feeding the cat and letting it out. They go back around 7pm let the cat in (no cat flap). Cat is then shut it in a bedroom with a litter tray until the morning.
I don't know much about cats but I feel sorry for this one. Today it was cold and rained almost all day. Several times I suggested that they go round to bring the cat in.
My question is: would it be better for the cat to come to us for the week when the girls' Mum goes away? Or would that cause total pandemonium?

chocdonutyy Sun 01-Jan-17 23:46:07

Depends on the cat really, if they are happier at home and generally go out anyway at those times then it's best left where it is.
Cats get stressed easily in new environments and if it went on holiday to yours then it would have to be confined to one room anyway to reduce stress and prevent escape, not much difference then at home really.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 01-Jan-17 23:50:11

It'll be fine, cats are great at finding shelter.

heidiwine Sun 01-Jan-17 23:51:30

Thank you. That's good to know. Cat is generally indoors with full roam of house during day unless the girls' mum is going out. Glad to know that what's going on is OK from and animal welfare POV and that the cat would be more stressed at ours (which is consistent with what we have said all along as that was what was first suggested). Thank you.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 02-Jan-17 08:43:33

I'm a softy so I'd go and get it.

Icequeen01 Mon 02-Jan-17 09:34:21

I'm a softie too and would have to go and get her! Not sure where you are Op but there are weather warnings for snow for parts of the U.K. and it was really cold and wet here in the SE yesterday. My two cats would only go out for a few minutes at a time and then came straight back in to dry off and snuggle on the sofa.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 02-Jan-17 09:37:56

Why don't you let it in before 7pm if you're concerned about the weather? I would not be moving the cat as it could become very stressed.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 02-Jan-17 09:55:08

It depends on the temperament of the cat. Mine goes with me when we go away and doesn't get stressed at all, in fact he's more laid back than he is at home! He doesn't go out when he's away but it doesn't seem to bother him.

I'd have to do something though, I count leave the poor thing outside in all weathers without a shelter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: