Talk

Advanced search

Huge ruptured abscess

(13 Posts)
9livesandcounting Sun 01-Jan-17 22:46:46

So the flipping cat has been mauled by something (guessing by span of bite it's a dog) he was treated for a small sore Thurs. Came home to another bald patch and lifted him up to see and to clean and treat as per vet instructions. Huge abscess ruptured all over DH, kitchen etc. Vet says it's a good thing and to wash and squeeze the area. She clearly has never met the cat! Several towel wraps later we have succeeded and have all eyes and limbs intact.

Another life gone kitty.

Vet prescribed a wash and cream Thurs but no antibiotics so guessing we need to go back to vets tomorrow and get some. Out of hours vet said he may be OK now it's ruptured and he may not need antibiotics but what do you think?

MsMims Sun 01-Jan-17 22:50:47

One of ours had this. Was truly revolting! Vet did prescribe antibiotics and we also had to rinse the wound out with diluted hibiscrub.

I would want the antibiotics too really to make sure the infection clears. Vet may just prescribe without seeing your cat again given it was only a few days ago.

9livesandcounting Sun 01-Jan-17 22:54:48

That's my feeling. Have washed him with the scrub.

Was just hideous.

This cat has had so many injuries. Been bit by two dogs, crushed by an akita (husky type thing), had his head pierced by neighbours bird of prey (he was trying to get in its avert).

Tried keeping him in at night but last time we did that he ripped the car flap off the door shock

Do love him but he is not a cuddly cat!

Shriek Sun 01-Jan-17 22:55:14

I would prefer to syringe rinse regularly and keep pulling the top off toll it closes from inside out. Not always necessary for AB's. I'd definitely use saline solition tho.

If its burst well it should just continue to drain and them jist bleed till its cleanly closed itself. Take your pick but make sure its healed properly inside before top heals.

9livesandcounting Sun 01-Jan-17 22:56:15

Sorry cat flap and aviary - had a wine to recover from the trauma!

9livesandcounting Sun 01-Jan-17 22:58:19

Thanks Shriek - he's merrily eating his dinner so seems ok in self. Will reassess him in the morning. He is shut in tonight, let's see of cat flap is still intact first thing

9livesandcounting Mon 02-Jan-17 08:17:29

Well the said moggy is bright and cheerful. Waiting for Dh to get up so we can have a good look and clean it again (definitely a two person job!). May escape the vets after all.

DodoRevival Mon 02-Jan-17 08:30:47

From my experience of this is I'd have expected antibiotics and an antiinflammatory pain relief for moggy.

Also does it need stitches?

9livesandcounting Mon 02-Jan-17 08:59:15

Re-examination wasn't nice. Hoping to hold off until tomorrow as it's emergency only and he is quite happy. Insurance may dispute an emergency bill and although I'd happily pay it if he was distressed he seems ok.

Definitely vets in morning unless we take him today. Vet on phone last night was happy to leave him. Hmmmm cats!

Shriek Mon 02-Jan-17 13:06:48

One of my dmoggies veru good at getting into scraps and acquiring absessess. Massive ones that have really distored face /tail/body.

Also said dcat very poor at patience and very handy with claws and teeth and houdini in towels and being kept in. Always had to resign myself to ruined lampshade collars/windows opened/cat flaps shredded etc., and stitchea and even staples pulled out on massive hole that had to be cut toallow absess to drain without healing and then being stapled .

All now fine and mostly dealt with myself without AB's all the while dcat perky as dvet threw hands in air with him and at a loss short of sedating for the duration. All recovered from very well and now well over 10.

Had both eyes nearly shut with one on top of head which created massive cavity right over top ofheading giving him huge 'frown'.

Again no trip to vet and sorted. But he's a 'moggie' with great immune system it seems!

Shriek Mon 02-Jan-17 13:13:35

Said crazy dcat curled up next to me right now like but wouldnt melt. He gorgeous!

Hoppinggreen Mon 02-Jan-17 13:37:12

Is it really bad that I came on here hoping for a photo?
Hope your cat is ok OP

9livesandcounting Mon 02-Jan-17 17:38:39

grin Not awful at all but photo just shows a puss laden mess. Eurgh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now