Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone reassure me about our cat?

(11 Posts)
sleepychunky Sun 01-Jan-17 19:49:19

We've had our cat (7 months old) since mid-November. He's got some kind of skin irritation (possibly reaction to flea treatment) which he was scratching so badly it was bleeding, so he's got steroid cream and has to wear a cat babygro to stop him scratching the wound, and he's not allowed out atm. He's been really subdued since Thursday (when he had the babygro put on) and isn't eating much and hiding away, very different from his usual self which is incredibly hungry and wanting to play all the time. Do you think he's just feeling miserable because he can't do his usual things, or should we be more worried? He has a follow-up appointment with vet on Friday but we've taken him twice this week already and I don't really want to go again if not necessary. We haven't had a cat for the last 5 years so don't know if I should be worried or not. Any reassurance or ideas? TIA

PaperdollCartoon Sun 01-Jan-17 19:52:31

He's fine, hes just pissed off and itchy. That's it. One my my cats has recurring skin problems due to some sort of allergy we can't figure out, so it regularly in cones/trapped inside/pissed off. They can't express that they're discomforted or really do anything to help themselves, so of course they hide and don't eat. Is he having anything like Piriton to help him feel less uncomfortable?

sleepychunky Sun 01-Jan-17 19:57:02

He was given a steriod injection at the vet on Thursday to help with the itching, but he's not having anything else except the cream. The wound is a lot better - scabbed over and smooth skin again in places, so I can't imagine it's itching him too much any more. Thanks for your reassurance - I will hope that by his next vet visit he'll be allowed to have his babygro off and will feel a lot better!

Bitlost Sun 01-Jan-17 19:59:37

My cat died after having a steroid injection. He got subdued and I thought he was just that, subdued. By the time, I realised something was wrong it was too late. I'd go back to the vet. Sorry to worry you. He's probably fine but better safe than sorry. Good luck.

Autumnchill Sun 01-Jan-17 20:00:04

Nell (or Scruffpot) as we call her gets allergic reactions to flea bites and ends up with an almost bald backend. She has an injection and it takes a couple of days for her to come round from it and forgive us!

Shriek Sun 01-Jan-17 20:01:38

I would take off babygro all the time you are around to watch as if not itchy any more not much point but cats bodies dont cope well with not eating so that shoildnt go onlonger than a day.

Remove and offer play and treats for regular daily sessions until all clear

Shriek Sun 01-Jan-17 20:04:20

Sounds like should have recovered from steroid jab by now (according to pp) worth double-check I agree

Shriek Sun 01-Jan-17 20:06:32

Sorry! Misread. Your dcat onlyhad cream. Not jab

MsMims Sun 01-Jan-17 22:53:41

Not eating, or not eating enough, can be really serious for cats. Can you take the baby grow off and see if he perks up? I wouldn't wait until Friday if he stays off his food and subdued.

Shriek Sun 01-Jan-17 23:17:38

Sorry again! I read it right first time. Do get in touch with vet over poss steroid issue and definitely if not eaten properly since thursday!

Still advocate taking off babygro immediately and offering treats and play to see what issue is

sleepychunky Fri 06-Jan-17 11:18:30

Thanks for everybody's advice a few days ago - back from vet check up and all is well (he carried on eating). He's much better but will have to keep his babygro on for another few days until the final bits of skin heal and scab over, then we can take it off him. He's managed to wriggle out of it a few times so quite impressed at his tenacity! But we're not worried any more, so thank you for your support and flowers for you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now