Talk

Advanced search

Worm and flea tablets

(14 Posts)
littlemissM92 Sun 01-Jan-17 13:19:43

Hi decided to work and flea cat ourselves rather than vets stuff. Surely they all do same job but vets just want u to pay them instead of a shop? Does anyone use the bob Martin stuff this is what I think I'm going to use ? Thanks

ooerrmissus Sun 01-Jan-17 13:24:37

watching with interest i was always told the stuff you can buy over the counter isnt as strong as the stuff from the vets, that's prescribed for your pet and is more effective

i suspect if your cat is an indoor cat the Bob Martin stuff would be fine if they're a free range cat with a penchant for mousing you'll need the hardcore stuff

PolterGoose Sun 01-Jan-17 14:17:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrustySnail Sun 01-Jan-17 14:21:23

I echo PPs. Your vet will weigh your cat and ensure the right dosage is prescribed and that the treatment is suitable bearing in mind any other medical conditions your cat may have.

Wolfiefan Sun 01-Jan-17 14:24:58

Do not buy Bob Martin. You can't buy the right stuff in a supermarket.
Consult a vet.
You can get meds over the Internet but you need a prescription from your vet so won't necessarily save a whole load.
They don't all do the same job. Some will be ineffective and some may even harm your animal.
We use advocate and a spot on wormer. (Used to use drontal)

Heirhelp Sun 01-Jan-17 14:28:10

Agree with the Bob Martin stuff. Lots of chemists will sell the appropriate stuff.

littlemissM92 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:58:33

Drontal and advantage where what my vet advised actually may go with them

littlemissM92 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:58:54

Regards to his weight I weigh him at home on scales

FuzzyWizard Sun 01-Jan-17 14:59:38

We buy our flea treatment from the vet but bought wormer from pets at home. It's the one that the vet recommended (drontal I think it is) but it isn't one you just pick up off the shelf, they keep it in a locked cabinet. You don't need a prescription but you do have to give your details and the details of your cat to buy it.
I'd never use a Bob Martin product on my cat. I think scrimping on flea treatment is unwise unless you don't mind getting flea infestations. My mum used to buy the cheap Bob Martin stuff from Tesco for her indoor only cats. After an unholy flea infestation that took over 6 months and a lot of money to properly get rid of she now treats them regularly with prescription stuff even though they don't go out. I wouldn't risk it.

IsletsOfLangerhans Sun 01-Jan-17 15:06:45

Just a word of warning - some cats react badly to spot-on treatments. Our cat foamed at the mouth and afterwards suffered with excessive thirst. When we asked our vet for advice, she said it's not uncommon. We use advantage tablets - pop them in his mouth and stroke chin until it's gone. he's a very chilled, easy to handle cat though ;)

hollinhurst84 Sun 01-Jan-17 15:10:12

I use advantage for flea treatment and panacur for wormer

TrustySnail Sun 01-Jan-17 15:13:09

We use advantage tablets - pop them in his mouth and stroke chin until it's gone. he's a very chilled, easy to handle cat though ;)

He must be! I get vanishing cat/cat on ceiling if I try that method grin. Fortunately mine are fine with spot treatments. I'd like to try the injection, but not sure if my vet offers it.

Heirhelp Sun 01-Jan-17 15:18:53

Does your vets have a health pet club? That normally works out cheaper,

Toddlerteaplease Sun 01-Jan-17 16:37:45

Is there an injection you can have for fleas or did I imagine that? Trying to get spot on on my think coated long haired fluff balls is quite a challenge!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now