Talk

Advanced search

How can I ever relax again post-flea infestation??

(11 Posts)
alitee36 Sat 31-Dec-16 16:37:37

We had fleas in the house in Sept/Oct. Got rid after a stressful nightmare battle. Cats are now on monthly Stronghold and I'm checking them daily with a flea comb. Still find one most days - I thought the cold weather was supposed to kill them off? sad
I can't imagine ever being able to relax again! The poor cats are sick of me combing them every time they set foot in the house after a trip outside.
How has anyone else managed to deal with this and do you ever feel stress-free again??

PosiePootlePerkins Sat 31-Dec-16 18:08:46

We got rid of quite a bad infestation, one thing you could consider alongside the flea treatment is the program injection. It renders any biting female flea infertile so no more eggs can be laid. I think it was £30 for 6 months but it does give extra peace of mind.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:57:04

I found a flea behind my ear yesterday. Blobcat has had an early flea treatment as a new year gift. I had an absolutely horrendous infestation a few years ago with previous cat. A neighbour was feeding her while we were on holiday, got home to find her collapsed in litter tray, my other half had taken his shoes off and his white socks were crawling with fleas, they looked like ants swarming there were that many. I yelled at him to stay put while I got flea spray so he could squirt his feet and rushed cat upstairs to bath and comb her before taking her to the vet. I have never seen anything like it. The cat had been treated before we went away and it was only 10 days, so no idea how it got so out of hand so quickly. The house was sprayed from floor to roof, cat treated again, but the only thing that seemed to put a permanent stop to it was diatomaceous earth, tried in desperation, but very effective. No major issues since, thank goodness!

LordTrash Sat 31-Dec-16 18:59:00

I know this feeling so well. Had an infestation at the same time of year, 2 years ago. Still look for them everywhere, even though I last saw one in Jan 2015.

Good luck!

LordTrash Sat 31-Dec-16 18:59:23

I know this feeling so well. Had an infestation at the same time of year, 2 years ago. Still look for them everywhere, even though I last saw one in Jan 2015.

Good luck!

Badcat666 Sun 01-Jan-17 11:19:32

Indorex is your friend in these situations. Basically kills the fleas, eggs and larvae and lasts 12 months and was recommended by our vet.

We had a nasty bout about 3 years ago and use this once a year around the house JUST in case any fleas get a funny idea about turning up again. Little shits.

Just make sure your pets aren't in the room and follow instructions.

alitee36 Sun 01-Jan-17 14:09:50

Thanks for the ideas.
I asked my vet about the program injection - they don't offer it, but Stronghold is supposed to prevent fleas from laying eggs. The vet suggested Comfortis tablets which I'm a bit worried about due to side effects I've read about. I might think about that in the summer. Has anyone tried it?
I used diatomaceous earth to help get rid - got the idea from the Bug Squad website which was really good. I've kept some on standby just in case! Poor Blobcat, that sounds awful! Hope she made a full recovery.
I've sprayed the entire house but I can't trust just one annual spray just set so will probably do it monthly - overkill maybe but best to be safe!!
I go around inspecting the floor daily - hopefully I'll start to relax a bit before too long!

Meemolly Sun 01-Jan-17 19:12:13

How do you use diatomaceous earth?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 01-Jan-17 19:18:25

Treat house with Indorex and hoover daily.

alitee36 Sun 01-Jan-17 19:59:42

Meemolly - make sure you buy food grade so it's safe to use with animals and children about. I bought it from Amazon & it's not expensive. Keep animals and kids out of the room as it can create a lot of dust when you put it down. Sprinkle it onto the carpet, just a light covering, then brush it into the carpet and leave it for a few hours (or days if you want) before vacuuming it up. You can put it onto the dog or cat's bed too, it won't hurt them so long as it's food grade. It breaks the outer shell of the flea and kills it. There's a website the Bug Squad that gives lots of info and was really helpful. It's like vacuuming up a lot of dust so it can block the filter - I vacuumed half a room some then emptied the bag & cleared the filter before doing the rest so it didn't get blocked.

Meemolly Sun 01-Jan-17 20:24:47

Thank you that's great. We don't have a cat currently but I want to be ready for when we get our next one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now