Talk

Advanced search

Toilet problems

(8 Posts)
littlemissM92 Wed 28-Dec-16 16:43:51

So we got our lovely kitty about 2months ago he has settled in so well and seems v content he has not had ANY accidents until yesterday when he did a poo right behind his litter tray.. very unusual as fine in all other respects didn't make a big deal because wasn't sure whether to scold him or not ?? Fast forward to today and he did it again in exact same spot right next to litter tray. No wee accidents just 2 pop same place 2 consecutive days. Any advice greatly received ?? X

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:09:30

Did you see him do it? Could he be in the tray but bottom hanging over the edge? What sort of tray do you have and how old / what size is the kitten?
Have you changed the brand of litter from the one he was using previously?

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:09:32

Did you see him do it? Could he be in the tray but bottom hanging over the edge? What sort of tray do you have and how old / what size is the kitten?
Have you changed the brand of litter from the one he was using previously?

vshah140113 Wed 28-Dec-16 17:24:43

My 2 do this sometimes, they are 7 months nearly now. The vet said it's a behaviour thing but I'm not 100% sure
How old is your kitten ? Cats are very sensitive to smells maybe litter is getting to smelly for kitten

littlemissM92 Wed 28-Dec-16 18:37:12

He is around 3 months old quite small plenty of room for him in tray been using same littler on purpose from the start, do u mean by behaviour it is them being naughty? What do u do with yours when they do it ? Going to start with changing tray even more regularly and see if that helps as. Sometimes I do pour clean litter on top of wee before changing it all? X

vshah140113 Wed 28-Dec-16 18:57:28

I don't do anything I just change the litter, our vet didn't give any advice about the behaviour issue said occasionally kittens do this and they eventually grow out of it.
But I've noticed it's only when litter was needing to be change and after I did a complete clean out of tray and the whole area they were fine after that

FuzzyWizard Wed 28-Dec-16 19:48:18

I wouldn't pour clean litter on top of wee sodden stuff. I use clumping litter so scoop out the wee but if I was using a non clumping one I'd change the whole lot all at once. He isn't being naughty and there is no point scolding a cat. Clean the tray out very regularly and if you are going to be out all day I'd have two trays so there's a backup if one is too soiled for him to want to use it.

littlemissM92 Wed 28-Dec-16 20:12:35

Perfect advise thanks that's good I don't want to scold him hopefully he will just stop doing it I may change to non clump litter so o can scoop out the wet rather than bin it all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now